Beginning today, I have no sound when playing MPEG files in VLC media player or when I'm working with them in Tsunami DVD Author. Also, no sound in Media Player Classic, tho I use it less than VLC. Last week, when I was working with these same files, I had sound. I could open an MPEG file with VLC, and I could edit a file in Tsunami and hear the sound.

Today I turn on the computer, and there is no sound in VLC or Tsunami. Speakers and sound card are apparently OK, as I do hear the normal sounds for Windows opening and other Windows events. Also, I do hear the sound for websites such as Utube.

I can "force" the sound in VLC by playing with the Audio menu setting. I find that clicking the Audio-Audio Device-Mono setting will make the sound play. What's different is that last week, I didn't have to do this every time I opened the file. Last week I simply double-clicked on the file to open it with VLC, and the sound was there.

And this still doesn't tell me why I can't get the sound when I open the same files in Tsunami DVD author when last week I could.

I also have the same problems with DVDs that I have burned. Last week, they had sound when played in VLC; today, no sound. They play just fine on another computer and on the stand-alone DVD player and TV.

I've checked the volume controls in Windows. Nothing is muted.

I figure if I hear the Windows events sounds, then the problem is not with the speakers and probably not the sound card. So am I missing?