VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi … now have all necessary cables so about to start for first time.
    Would welcome any tips & Hints from those familiar with ADVC-300 on practical use of this product.

I will be feeding S-VHS from Panasonic tape deck (NV-HS800B) as S-Video into ADVC-300 along with NICAM stereo over RCA connectors.
    Output is via IEEE1394 to PC (Vista 32bit) to capture 720 x 576 lossless AVI.
    Aiming to use WinDV (v 1.2.3) as capture program.
    For eventual (post processing) creation of DVD’s.

Only other consideration is to feed S-VHS signal into my DVD recorder in ‘loop thru’ (it's a DMR-E95H don't even know if it supports loop thr) then into ADVC-300. Read that this may give improvements?
    I have set DIP switches .. all off other than SW1 6 which is set to ON (PAL)

Do you guys use the ADVC Picture Control s/w ? …. Or just pass signal straight into PC and adjust with some other app ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think you have to use picture control, it works well as you can see what you are capturing recording, well not exactly as I always feel that the actual machinery of capturing or recording adds its own dimensions to the finished product.

The reason the advc 300 is liked is its reliability, certainly a good vcr is the best starting point, as you have if its in good condition, and pass thru your dvd recorder may or may not add quality dimensions.

I found the Panasonic dvd recorders made for a plastic image quality bit like someone has laid cling film (Plastic wrap in the USA/Canada), over it.

Which encoding software from avi to dvd were you going to use will affect it.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not use Vista so I do not know if that OS actually supports the Picture Controller software.

You will read on here that it is not the best software but I, personally, am quite happy with it as using the buttons for the adjustments does look quite complicated.

Now the SDVC 300 is a hardware unit so why would you wish to use software for the things it can do - ok it cannot do everything you may wish to do with your footage but.....

BTW you will not be capturing lossless AVI with this unit using your illustration. The unit is an analogue >> digital converter and you will end up with DV avi which is still compressed.

You can feed the video into a capture card instead of using the IEEE 1394 and that can give you other compression formats (even un-compresssed) subject to what the capture software for the capture card supports.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83

Now the SDVC 300 is a hardware unit so why would you wish to use software for the things it can do - ok it cannot do everything you may wish to do with your footage but.....

BTW you will not be capturing lossless AVI with this unit using your illustration. The unit is an analogue >> digital converter and you will end up with DV avi which is still compressed.

You can feed the video into a capture card instead of using the IEEE 1394 and that can give you other compression formats (even un-compresssed) subject to what the capture software for the capture card supports.
    I don't know if it supports VISTA I'll ask Grass Valley.

- you are of course right about AVI .. my error.

I don't have a capture card, hence using IEEE 1394.

As to ADVC-300 being h/w .. and why would I use s/w ? ........ not too sure what you meant, I would like to use it as much as possible ... hence Q on using it's control s/w to set h/w for optimal results.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    I think you have to use picture control, .
    The manual shows you don't have to use it ... you can just use combination of DIP switches and the Adjust up/down LED - although a UI from PC would seem a whole lot easier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The software that comes with the ADVC-300 is just for remote control of the hardware functions. It doesn't touch the video. I'm not sure of Vista/Win7 support but try "XP SP2 compatibility" mode in Vista. It will probably work.

All the hardware functions can be set from the front panel (see manual) but the remote software is much easier to use.

The ADVC-100/110/300 are bi-directional. They can also be set to export a color bar to analog composite or S-Video outputs.

In capture mode, the analog source (tuner, VCR or DVD recorder) feeds the ADVC and the ADVC outputs DV over IEEE-1394. Monitor video is available on the ADVC analog outputs.

In return mode DV over IEEE-1394 from the computer feeds the ADVC and the analog conversion appears on the ADVC analog outputs. If the analog outputs are connected to the DVD recorder inputs, you can record the DV feed. In this case you would also feed a monitor so you can see what you are doing. This return path to the monitor is often used for DV format NLE timeline monitoring. This way you see the exact video being edited or filtered. It is the preferred way to monitor rather than using the display card.

If you select color bar out, you can record that to the DVD player for levels testing. This will assist you in setting the DVD player for nominal levels in and out.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thnx for comments ...

on the -
    >XP SP2 compatibility" mode in Vista.

I didn't even know there was a compatability mode.
    Quote Quote