VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, this should be a pretty quick problem to answer, however I am new at this movie conversion bit.

I recently bought a PS3 and want to backup my bluerays. I booted into (Ubuntu on the PS3) and backed the image up using the command

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/movie.img

I mounted the image on my pc without issues, however none of the files in the stream folder want to play with vlc or windows media player having the shark007 codec pack installed.

I read in http://gizmodo.com/5161848/how-to-rip-blu+ray-discs that if I cant play the .m2ts file i shouldnt even try demuxxing and all that junk

Ripbot simply takes the file and says there is no video in it, while tsmuxer says

"Error: Bitstream exception Unknown exception. It does not have to be! ..."

So my question would be, was my blueray backing up method wrong, or are my tools and such not up to date.
    I have ffdshow,hali media splitter, and all the stuff the tutorial and ribot asked for.

Help?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you decrypt the BDs first? I am able to play the decrypted .m2ts files from my hard drive with VLC or Zoom player with no problems. VLC uses it's own codecs, so no outside codecs required. I decrypt with AnyDVD HD.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, it was that. I just assumed that the img dump took care of the decrypting, need to read more next time , now to find something that does the same as Anydvd on ubuntu
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck on that. There are very few BD decrypters available. Can you run some sort of emulator for a Windows OS for AnyDVD? Right now AnyDVD HD and sometimes DVDFab HD Decrypter are about all that's around, especially for newer BDs. But the Linux people must have some way to do it.

The BD decrypters that we list in our 'Tools' section: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd
    Quote Quote