VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Unfortunately I realized they were false positives too late and now have to re-install
    some programs(ImgBurn, Goldwave and some other easy-to-do programs)....so if
    you are bombarded with warnings with Avast...don't believe it. Don't completely ignore it but...
    think twice before you delete.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yeah, you gotta watch those settings. AVG kept removing Netcat from my systems until I figured it out. What a pain that was.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the tools comments someone complained of a warning with DVD43 after a fresh install of Avast and this probably explains the problem. I've been using Avast for a while and do my updates manually. I was using a db which was a couple of days old and didn't have the issue. The clue here obviously is when well known programs start to show up as positives. I had something similar happen with AVG a couple of years ago. I switched to Avast a few months ago because AVG was often tying up my cpu 100% for no reason and it was almost impossible to cancel the background task. This would be a pain if you have it set to automatically clean bad files. I'm glad I missed that update.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. give Avira a shot
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had Avast for 3 years, and this is the first time it's given me a false positive (Spybot, of all things). I'm not going to let this rare event turn me off from Avast.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It wiped out a new install of SpyBot and Spyware Blaster on a system I had just set up. But I see the update is now loaded. That's the first time I have had any problem with it, though. And it usually catches problems that my other antivirus programs missed, so an occasional mistake I can live with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    It wiped out a new install of SpyBot and Spyware Blaster on a system I had just set up. But I see the update is now loaded. That's the first time I have had any problem with it, though. And it usually catches problems that my other antivirus programs missed, so an occasional mistake I can live with.
    Same here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is why I turn off standard shield, I don't want Avast scanning items already on my PC. I have everything else turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hech54, you are not the only one that got hit, I will be doing a format and recovery this weekend. I was sitting at my desk and avast came up and said it found a virus and it was a program (executable ) I have on my desktop, then another one, then dvd decrypter then imgburn then dvd fab then a .dll. It would not let me repair, said repair failed and prompted to delete, so I paniced and hit delete. I finally got to boot into safe mode to scan and it then prompted that virus was in memory and had to restart and scan, which I did and it deleted well over 48 (that is where i stopped counting) files. It was time for a format anyway.
    Fun in the sun, Oh no my friend, Fun on the sun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I saved my log file from Avast....a 105kb text file....you got off easy...I could add another "0" to your "48". Windows never faltered. Computer ran like a top the entire time and still does. A format or recovery is always my absolute last resort....and I made a Paragon image of my c: drive 12 hours earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I was lucky. Maybe I missed the problem update for Avast because I had shut down my computer around midnight.

ImgBurn seems fine, and I don't use some of the programs mentioned as causing false positives.The only program that had a problem so far is Advanced System Care Free. It failed to run on start up and again when I tried to start it manually. I did manage to get it going using "run as administrator". After I had it manually update to the latest version, it began running normally.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to reinstall SpyBot and Spyware Blaster with no problems. I guess I was lucky that the PC had been newly reformated and didn't have hardly any programs installed yet. I have Avast on most of my PCs, and the others weren't affected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Everything that I've found that was effected by the BURP was easy to fix/re-install. Even my AnyDVD was wiped out for some reason. Drag and drop the program folder to the recycle bin(if even the uninstaller wont work), run CCleaner and re-install.....no biggie.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I heard some reports that windows system files were also effected. I happened to be up late working on a customer's PC when this happened to me. Thankfully I hadn't installed it on her's yet. I got off easy though. The first thing it flagged was something I knew was no virus so I chose to "do nothing" Anything else that came up I did the same for or moved to the Chest if I was remotely suspicious. If you didn't outright delete the file then you can easily enough restore it from the chest. If you did nothing a simple restart after the updated database is installed restores access to the flagged files.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys really had me worried here. I went to Avast from AVG when I saw Avast was staying more current and responding quicker to new threats and have been happy with it for a few years.

Here's a link to the Avast support forum where they address the issue:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51647.0
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same issue with spybot regarding a dll. file but i clicked cancel. Guess I was lucky.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KingSeti
    hech54, you are not the only one that got hit, I will be doing a format and recovery this weekend. I was sitting at my desk and avast came up and said it found a virus and it was a program (executable ) I have on my desktop, then another one, then dvd decrypter then imgburn then dvd fab then a .dll. It would not let me repair, said repair failed and prompted to delete, so I paniced and hit delete. I finally got to boot into safe mode to scan and it then prompted that virus was in memory and had to restart and scan, which I did and it deleted well over 48 (that is where i stopped counting) files. It was time for a format anyway.
    No reformat here, but I did lose a few long-installed programs, and a couple hours to frustration and aggravation. Among the casualties: Spy Sweeper, an old utility called DiscInfo, and Pinnacle Photo Album, which has sat totally unused for the last couple years. I was unclear as to how the Avast Virus Chest worked, so they are just gone. (After this debacle, I did finally install back a later version of Spy Sweeper.)

I was very suspicious of this whole deal right from the git-go. Start with the reported presence of just the same two trojan invaders, over and over again. Then, why would they bother to infect obscure, never used files like the Korean language DLLs of some programs ? The whole pattern of this just did not make much sense.

I'm really glad for posts here like that tip-off from neomaine -- just wish I'd seen it before I started tossing out perfectly good programs.

MovieGeek, how do you exclude long-installed and known-good programs from this kind of unneeded scrutiny ?

And while we're speaking about ill-behaved programs, I'm separately posting one about Orbit Downloader.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  18. MovieGeek, how do you exclude long-installed and known-good programs from this kind of unneeded scrutiny ?
    Just terminate standard shield, that way Avast will only scan websites and email.
    I manually check suspicious files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    how do you exclude long-installed and known-good programs from this kind of unneeded scrutiny ?
    [s:57c9abe00f]Right click the "A" icon in your task bar and select "program settings" then check Exclusions->Browse->Select the path's you want to exclude.

That way you don't have to turn any scanners off. Just turn off access to known good program's directories.[/s:57c9abe00f]
    edit
    well that may not work as those settings do not affect the standard shield. Damn. Sorry for the mis info

edit2
    okay you should be able to do it this way
    Right click the "A" icon in your task bar and select "On-Access Protection Control" then Select "Details" at the bottom.
    Then find "Standard Shield" Customize-> Advanced->Add paths to exclude
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Everything that I've found that was effected by the BURP was easy to fix/re-install. Even my AnyDVD was wiped out for some reason. Drag and drop the program folder to the recycle bin(if even the uninstaller wont work), run CCleaner and re-install.....no biggie.
    That was no BURP; that was the nastiest, stinkiest FART! in an enclosed space that you had to spend many frantic minutes opening Windows (pun intended). I got stuck when it recommended restarting and doing a boot scan, and then wouldn't let me do anything but delete. It got partway done, but I had some suspicions and got onto another PC and Googled "Win32elf-MZG trojan" and got the false positive info I needed. I immediately stopped the scan and rebooted - which WORKED! Now I'm in the middle of Undeleting - I just hope I will be able to recover all, as this particular PC has 4 HUGE harddrives attached, and only a fraction of all the stuff on them has been recently backed up. It would be many hours if not days if I had to do reinstalls...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IS this program safe to install...was going to do it on a machine that nod32 license expired on....or is there a better free one???
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    it was just a faulty definition update, which was fixed the same day.
    To repair any programs killed just go into the virus vault and right click the deleted files and select restore, everything effected should work again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by darkknight145
    it was just a faulty definition update, which was fixed the same day.
    To repair any programs killed just go into the virus vault and right click the deleted files and select restore, everything effected should work again
    Couple of problems with that kind of logic...

It is often a policy where, when a computer has gotten a virus from the net, the first thing it would do on reset would be to disable internet access - so that update would do NO GOOD.

Also,
    Virus Vault happened to "not be working" at the time. WHAT THEN?

I'm typing this on the PC that was affected, hoping I won't find any important stuff missing, but when the program itself can't keep track that well, how to tell? I lucked out that my hunch was justified and that I stopped the scan when I did. Lots of other people won't be as lucky. This was no mere hiccup.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm also typing on the affected machine. I went "all the way" with the deletions. I did NOT go into the chest to undo what was done. Neither Windows (nor my computer in general) ever faltered. I've found about a half-dozen programs that required a re-install...SIMPLE re-installs....and Avast Free Home is STAYING on this computer. It will never leave.

I think it time for a "Lighten up Francis".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    I'm also typing on the affected machine. I went "all the way" with the deletions. I did NOT go into the chest to undo what was done. Neither Windows (nor my computer in general) ever faltered. I've found about a half-dozen programs that required a re-install...SIMPLE re-installs....and Avast Free Home is STAYING on this computer. It will never leave.

I think it time for a "Lighten up Francis".
    "Lee Harvey, you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy."
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think any security software has the potential to mis-identify harmless files as dangerous or do other annoying things, such as consuming too many system resources. Unless incidents like this become commonplace, I'm sticking with Avast because it works better than anything else I have used.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Don't they bother testing these things before they roll them out the door ?
    This was not a subtle or hard-to-find problem !
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Avast screwed the pooch this one time, but has had an otherwise great track record for years. I'm with hech54. Despite this rare screw-up, it's been the best free virus utility I've ever had so far, and I'm keeping it...for now.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will install then....nod32 getting bloated. Avast seems quick for free version....getting tired on paying for stuff LOL!!!!

Also have trojan remover....so should be ok
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote