VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Folks,

I'm just wondering for any input or suggestions before I go and buy myself one of these boxes. Seems that everywhere I read reviews that they seem pretty even and if one lacks in an area the other doesn't and vice versa. The Asus is cheaper, but is it worth it? This will be my final decision making process, so throw anything you got out there. Thanks.

BTW: these boxes will not be hooked up to a fancy surround sound system only 32-42 inch tv's in bedrooms.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know about the reviews are "seem pretty even" The WDTV live is more popular than the Asus

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic374280.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. From some of the long threads at AVS, it seems most of the people don't really like the Asus
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I noticed that on amazon too
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do you? I feel most people there like it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    From some of the long threads at AVS, it seems most of the people don't really like the Asus
    Is that what you get? There seem to be as many or more problems and complaints with the WD TV LIVE.

I have both. In a nutshell what I have noticed is that the the ASUS is more network friendly, and it plays SD DVDs better if if you want chapters and menus.

I think the interface gui on WD is a bit better but not much. Most of what I use them for is playing SD content on my server. upscale quality is identical. wd does support some audio tracks better but has soem it has problems iwth as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it'll be easier to get an answer if you have a technical issue or question with the WD TV. There are tons of forums and fanboys of this product.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have the WDTV (not the Live version) and didn't like the Blu-ray iso support and not having menus on my DVD iso's. I just bought the Asus O!Play and like that far better. I read through about every article on here before making my decision on a new digital media player and so far I think I made the right decision. It looked like there were a few more expensive products out there but I couldn't justify spending twice the money on a different media player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ddawson24 View Post
    I have the WDTV (not the Live version) and didn't like the Blu-ray iso support and not having menus on my DVD iso's. I just bought the Asus O!Play and like that far better. I read through about every article on here before making my decision on a new digital media player and so far I think I made the right decision. It looked like there were a few more expensive products out there but I couldn't justify spending twice the money on a different media player.
    Blu-ray iso support sounds very good. Have you tried any mkv from blu-rays(like made with makemkv). And with builtin or external subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have some mkv files but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. From what I've read it does play those well, but I'll try it out and let everyone know.
    Quote Quote  
  11. MY Asus O Play has played every file I have thrown at it. What convinced me to buy it was reading someones report that it handled subs in .mkv files well, as I watch a lot of Asian cinema and television with english subs, subtitles were a major concern.

It plays DVD ISO's with full menus, and h264/mp4/mkv and it even plays back .ts files very smoothly. I would highly recommend it.
    Quote Quote