VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me on this.

I followed the guide on how to add subtitle to dvd.so I demuxed the vob using pgcdemux, and then used muxman to re-author it with new subs, but it failed, telling me that "muxman operation failed, probably caused by excessive bitrate".so I checked the bitrate but it was in dvd spec (max bitrate=9700 avg bitrate=6000 , audio: ac3 192 kbps)
    after fiddling around with it , I couldn't get it done so I decided to forget about the subs and to my surprise I just couldn't author it again even without subs ,with muxman giving me the same message. I should add that I got the max bitrate using "bitrate viewer" and still can't get it why this is different from what I get from "Tecoltd Bitrate Viewer" as 8200 kbps.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Tecoltd one is wrong and can't be trusted. Try authoring with IFOEdit (DVD Author->Author New DVD). It takes everything in the same format as does Muxman, except for SST subs. See if there are buffer underflows when using that one. Even if there are, if there aren't too many it'll complete the mux and give you a playable DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by heof
    I checked the bitrate but it was in dvd spec (max bitrate=9700 avg bitrate=6000 , audio: ac3 192 kbps)
    Some sources (like Pegasys docs) say that the 10.08 Mb/s limit for DVD buffer includes not only video+audio+subpix but navigation data as well. This explains why final VOBs are always bigger than source files. Those sources recommend 9.8 Mb/s (9848 kb/s) as safe (and legal) total bitrate of source files.
    Not sure, but it's possible that Muxman evaluates the current result of muxing to VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replies.

I tried it with IFOEdit but it failed again,this time giving me "too many frame drops".

As I looked further into that, I realized that the initial muxed vob stream has a max bitrate of 8800 at some point about middle of the movie and after demuxing and removing the audio not only does it get lower but reaches to 9700 with the entire movie's bitrate rising up and that's where the muxman gives me the "excessive bitrate" and the buffer underflows come.How is it possible that the muxed stream gets uncompressed after demuxing?

Originally Posted by Alex_ander
    Those sources recommend 9.8 Mb/s (9848 kb/s) as safe (and legal) total bitrate of source files.
    The max bitrate of 9700 I got from "bitrate viewer" was only from video stream(.m2v file) so if I'm not wrong it's still in the DVD spec regarding some conservative sources and as long as there can be some spikes in the stream ,it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Quote Quote