VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I have edited a film with Avid Mediacomposer. I want to author it in Encore. The problem is that Encore does not do a proper transcoding of a Quick Time reference or Quick Time movie. So what I need is a tool that converts a Quick Time Movie into High Quality MPEG2 (ready for burning). Or would it be better to create an .avi in Avid Mediacomposer and convert that to MPEG2?
    What would be a good recommendation for a cheap but good converter? I don't want to spend hundreds on Sorenzen squeeze or comparable.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our conversion section.

You can get very good quality using FREE converters like HC encoder, use it togheter with a gui like avstodvd and convert to mpeg2.

Or just export to avi in avid and import in encore, it has a good mpeg2 encoder also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    I was looking at both links. Why do I need both HC and AVSTODVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Because hcencoder can only import avs and d2v script files. You can then either make an avisynth script avs file yourself OR use an all-in-one solution like avstodvd and let it do it for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avisynth + Quenc

1 - rename the video.mov to video.hdmov

2 -
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("video.hdmov")
    Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
    3 - feed the avs scrit on to quenc, i prefer quenc as it can encode to mpeg2 and ac3 at the same time, or output in separate elementary streams
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Because hcencoder can only import avs and d2v script files. You can then either make an avisynth script avs file yourself OR use an all-in-one solution like avstodvd and let it do it for you.
    I have installed HC and AVStoDVD. When I load the .mov file into AVStoDVD (options: Elementary MPEG2 Stream) and press start then I get Error: Avisynth open Failure: FFVideoSource: No Video track found.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like AVStoDVD cannot do .mov. It doesn't work. I get the error in previous message or when I preview it says in big red letters that No suitable output format found. I tried other formats like .m2t and avi and that works fine but not .mov.
    Quote Quote  
  8. AVStoDVD can process mov files, only if a suitable directshow audio codec is installed. You can try with ffdshow or with Quicktime Alternative.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ffdshow is on my pc and enabled. AVStoDVD asks for it to use it and I allow.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Have you tried with Quicktime Alternative?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't install QTAlternative. I will have to uninstall the regular/official Quicktime Player. My Avid Media Composer software will complain about these changes, I fear.
    Don't you thinks so?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricardouk
    avisynth + Quenc

1 - rename the video.mov to video.hdmov

2 -
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("video.hdmov")
    Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
    3 - feed the avs scrit on to quenc, i prefer quenc as it can encode to mpeg2 and ac3 at the same time, or output in separate elementary streams
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Another source filter option in avisynth is qtsource, which utilizes the installed QT on your system.

QTInput("video.mov")

Quicktime Reference might be giving the other suggestions problems. You could export a lossless format wrapped in mov instead e.g. uncompressed, png, animation , or even visually lossless like DNxHD or ProRes

On windows it would be better to export lossless AVI from Avid eg. lagarith, huffyuv, UT etc...
    Quote Quote