VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,
    Using a JVC Pro series player, played a VHS tape through once, played nicely, on replay it is just black with white streaks. Tried playing it through another machine NO LUCK still black. Any help out there? I seen this same problem on a post from 2005. Was hoping someone figured something out by now. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you visually inspected the tape? It may be mechanical damage. Can you wind it back and forth? If you push the small button on the L side of the cassette, you can open the front tape door and take a look at the tape. Look for wrinkles, lots of oxide dust and frayed edges. Don't touch the tape with bare hands though.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I can wind it back and forth. No frayed edges or excess dust of any sort.
    Could my machine of stretched the tape? The JVC sure has a fast forward and reverse. Thanks Again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just my experience, but stretched tapes usually show some obvious edge damage from the stretching. One slight possibility is that the deck erased the tape, though there should be quite a few safeguards against that.

Maybe other members have experienced a similar problem, or have some better suggestions. Just stand by......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the tape have a play-once "feature" on it? This is a hidden eraser strip on the tape. If this is the case, you're screwed. Screeners were often released this way in the 90s, I saw many of them as an entertainment editor/reporter. I used to cheat, dismantle the tape (or drill it out), and swap shells with a cheap $1 blank. Some were simply a piece of crap magnet taped into a standard cassette, just yank it out.

The other option is the VCR has an issue, and it's erasing the tape as it plays. This would be a mechanical failure of the erase heads.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote