VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How much sleep do you need each day?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I need at least 8 hours.

Thanks to johns0 for this poll!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I go to bed when I'm tired and wake up naturally with no alarms etc it's usually right at 9 hours.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I said 7. I usually have 8 to 9 penciled in but that doesn't mean I'm asleep the whole time unfortunately.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I assume I need 8, since that's what I get now that I'm retired. Apparently I was always a bit sleep-deprived when I was working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I need 8, but seldom get more than 6.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I need and what I get aren't necessarily the same answer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. After 5 my body actually begins to hurt and wakes up. I often get as little as 3 and sometimes as much as 6.

I can also have bouts of insomnia.

Nice thing about my sleeping habits is that I don't get jet lag
    Much to my wife's chagrin.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My sleeping habits vary, but one thing I know is that the "9-5" work routine is sabotaging my natural bio-rhythms and can't possibly be doing much good for me or any of us. Who says our bio-cycles coincide neatly with "day" and "night"? That's just society pulling the wool over our eyes. Work is slavery.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I need 7 hours, I prefer 8. I used to only need 6 hours regularly, but after I turned 45 or so, that wasn't enough anymore.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    5 1/2 hours has worked perfectly for me for years. More and I am groggy all day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    4-5 hours, and no more. Every now and then when work demands me to stay available for 48-72 hours straight, I'll usually crash for 9-10. Then it's back to 4-5 hours a night.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    What I need and what I get aren't necessarily the same answer.
    LOL

Word for word, this is what I was going to answer

I get 6 every night.

On Saturdays I turn off the alarm clock and I wake up by myself after 8-9 hours.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There have been a number of long term studies of sleep requirements, and it is just as bad for your health to get too much as it is not enough. Sleep requirements vary a lot through childhood and adolescence, with 9 - 11 hours being normal. However once you get into your late twenties and onwards, the healthy optimal is between 6 and 7 hours a night. A 6 year study, released in 2002, of over 1 million subjects aged between 30 and 102 found a significant increase in mortality in those that slept an average of 8 hours or more a night (i.e. those that averaged 8 or more hours a night were more likely to die during the period of the study).

Personally, I get by on around 6.5 - 7 hours a night.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5 hours seems to be my optimum. More than that and I'm groggy, less and I'm cranky.

Work variables can shift this. When I started working 14 hours a day, 5 hours became too little... but that's all the time I can spare for sleep.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am an athlete and train about 10 hours per week on average, depending upon the training/competition cycle I am currently in. I find that during lighter training cycles I sleep alot longer (and want to) than when I am training very hard. Regardless, the one thing I do know is that I always sleep very deeply. I think that how deep one sleeps is very important in the rest and recovery factor. A restless sleep is probably not worth much recovery at all.

Another factor during hard training is the need to wake up very early and hit the bricks or water...sleep is just not an option and can be put off for some other time...but on average, 8 hours would be the norm.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Video Head
    I am an athlete and train about 10 hours per week on average, depending upon the training/competition cycle I am currently in. I find that during lighter training cycles I sleep alot longer (and want to) than when I am training very hard. Regardless, the one thing I do know is that I always sleep very deeply. I think that how deep one sleeps is very important in the rest and recovery factor. A restless sleep is probably not worth much recovery at all.

Another factor during hard training is the need to wake up very early and hit the bricks or water...sleep is just not an option and can be put off for some other time...but on average, 8 hours would be the norm.
    Good luck following the "norm"! Maybe you'll live forever!

Personally, I'll live/sleep/drink/take drugs/****/eat/smoke/fight however much I feel like, I don't give a flying fartshit, if I die young cool, if I don't cool. I honestly don't give a ******* shit about society's abnormal "norms". "Society" is absolute bullcrap FULL STOP.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I need about 8 hours of sleep but sometimes takes 12 hours to achieve,i also like to live a normal peaceful life in a caring society.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZQX

Good luck following the "norm"! Maybe you'll live forever!

Personally, I'll live/sleep/drink/take drugs/****/eat/smoke/fight however much I feel like, I don't give a flying fartshit, if I die young cool, if I don't cool. I honestly don't give a ******* shit about society's abnormal "norms". "Society" is absolute bullcrap FULL STOP.
    I thought this was about sleep...

Say hi to Cobain for me!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought this was about sleep...Say hi to Cobain for me!
    Sorry, I hate "athletes" lol... (And I hate Cockbain too).

Try and understand where I'm coming from... "Alcohol = violence"... "Marijuana = schizophrenia"... I'm sick of this societal bullshit. **** exercise and **** work and **** regulation and **** you. I'll die drunk & wasted thank you very much.

Good luck on your 100-mile marathon "fun run"! HA HA HA HA HA.......
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZQX
    I thought this was about sleep...Say hi to Cobain for me!
    Sorry, I hate "athletes" lol... (And I hate Cockbain too).

Try and understand where I'm coming from... "Alcohol = violence"... "Marijuana = schizophrenia"... I'm sick of this societal bullshit. **** exercise and **** work and **** regulation and **** you. I'll die drunk & wasted thank you very much.

Good luck on your 100-mile marathon "fun run"! HA HA HA HA HA.......
    That's OK, I understand that you hate. Your world must be very dark and troubling for you. I wish you luck overcoming your problems.

I do have trouble understanding where "you come from" and would hazard a guess that the problems you face started from where "you come from".

Thank you for wishing me luck, but I find that the harder I work the luckier I get. Your kind of luck is not required. I guess that's why I get paid to do the things that I do...

Maybe you will have some more "wisdom" for us all...only time will tell...or the penal system.

Oh, and say hi to Hendrix for me...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have trouble understanding where "you come from" and would hazard a guess that the problems you face started from where "you come from".
    I rest my case,

Oh I hate Hendrix too (terribly overrated).

Good luck with your push-ups! Remember to flick your towel at your friend's ******** in the locker rooms! Weeeeeee! It's fun being a Catholic sporty type!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZQX
    I rest my case,

Oh I hate Hendrix too (terribly overrated).

Good luck with your push-ups! Remember to flick your towel at your friend's ******** in the locker rooms! Weeeeeee! It's fun being a Catholic sporty type!
    So who would you say you hate more: Your mother or yourself?

I am going to guess it is your mother, as you seem to blame or find fault in others very quickly. Never your problem, is it? Or is it...

Oh, and say hi to Joplin for me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Said everything you have to say boy? Don't have any more?

I would love to look accross the line and see your sorry ass standing there...
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe if you got enough sleep you wouldn't need to insult each other.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Surprisingly entertaining thread.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZQX
    My sleeping habits vary, but one thing I know is that the "9-5" work routine is sabotaging my natural bio-rhythms and can't possibly be doing much good for me or any of us. Who says our bio-cycles coincide neatly with "day" and "night"? That's just society pulling the wool over our eyes. Work is slavery.
    Erm.... human physiology?

See Circadian rhythm
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Surprisingly entertaining thread.
    You can thank Freud and the good people at Nike...
    Quote Quote