VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everybody

In the past couple of days, I've experienced a new thing with my pc, I suddenly get a strange annoying sound in my speakers and the computer freezes and I can't do anything anymore, but restart or unplug...

Any idea? I have recorded the sound but I don't know who to upload it here so you can hear it...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Following are possible fixes.

do you re-boot regularly

scan with :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

do you have up to date anti virus working

go into control panel uninstall the sound card and re boot which reinstalls the drivers.

running xp or what?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Following are possible fixes.

do you re-boot regularly

scan with :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

do you have up to date anti virus working

go into control panel uninstall the sound card and re boot which reinstalls the drivers.

running xp or what?
    Hi

I don't re-boot regularly
    I do have an anti virus working and it is up to date
    I am running, windows 7, 32bit
    Quote Quote  
  4. computers should be re-booted at least once a week and scanned for garbage files which can trip over the operating system.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A kind of sound like the last bit of audio is stuck and just repeats rapidly, kind of a stuttering sound? If so, that's a system lockup. Reboot and it goes away?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Malware issue ... doubt it

1: Remove all non-essential external devices and run in this state for 12 hours ... if noise disappears then external device was cause

2: Uninstall the audio device , reboot, reinstall, reboot ... if still exists, move on down list

2: Check psu (replace test) ... faulty psu's can emit strange noises through speakers

3: Check buttons from case are not damaged (melted connections)

4: Check mainboard (loose connections, leaking caps, blocked fans, poor quality heatsink compound)

Clean system garbage regularly

System reboots are only required regularly when system performance has decreased over time ... thou it was common with xp needing to be rebooted after X number of days or issues would develop ... All microsoft operating systems have this issue
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bjs
    Malware issue ... doubt it

1: Remove all non-essential external devices and run in this state for 12 hours ... if noise disappears then external device was cause

2: Uninstall the audio device , reboot, reinstall, reboot ... if still exists, move on down list

2: Check psu (replace test) ... faulty psu's can emit strange noises through speakers

3: Check buttons from case are not damaged (melted connections)

4: Check mainboard (loose connections, leaking caps, blocked fans, poor quality heatsink compound)

Clean system garbage regularly

System reboots are only required regularly when system performance has decreased over time ... thou it was common with xp needing to be rebooted after X number of days or issues would develop ... All microsoft operating systems have this issue
    Thank you guys very much for the information. I will check everything that you mentioned and see what's causing this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before you spend hours doing other things, first try to boot into Safe Mode. If the freezing stops and your unit runs normally, you have a software/driver conflict. Another thing is to download Memtest 86+ (free) memory test, burn the ISO to a CD and boot from your CD/DVD to test your memory. Sometimes bad memory will freeze a computer, and it can send a signal through the speakers.
    Quote Quote