VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Samsung 2333HD Monitor that i use for tv and computer monitor. I know tv speakers are not good so i was thinking if i can use my logitech x540 speakers on the tv. I connected the monitor to the pc using dvi link. and my monitor has a 'ex-link' which the manual doesnt really tell me whats it for, but i thought if i plug the wire into the ex-link into my sound card's line in that it would work. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Ex link port is for controlling external devices like a motorized wall mount.

How are you getting audio into the monitor from the TV tuner (cable box?)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    o i see. the 2333hd is a tv/monitor. it has a tv tuner in it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look on the side or back of the monitor and see if it has audio out rca connectors,you'll need adaptors on the logitech connectors which are 3.5 stereo.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your monitor has an optical SPDIF-out port for surround sound from a home theater system. To have surround sound from your PC speakers, you would need an optical SPDIF-in port on the PC, either on a discrete sound card, or on the motherboard's rear connections.

While shopping for parts to build a PC, I remember seeing some sound cards with optical SPDIF-in. I don't remember seeing any motherboards with optical SPDIF-in, only coaxial SPDIF-in. If there was an optical SPDIF port it was always for output, not input.

The only other audio-in port your PC would have is for a microphone, and I'm not sure how you would get even stereo sound from your speakers using that, plus an adapter cable for the headphone jack or the stereo audio-out jacks on the monitor. Maybe you could hook up the speakers directly to the headphone jack [Edit] I mean the headphone jack on the monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also connect the monitor audio out rca out to the sound card line-in,to correctly use the spdif you would need a proper amp/receiver with spdif in but that would defeat the purpose of using the logitech speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used to use powered PC speakers hooked up to my HDTV via the headphone output. Recently I opened up the TV, disconnected the internal speakers, and ran the wires to an external pair of bookshelf speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I hooked up my hdtv co-ax out to a sherwood 5.1 receiver with 5 speakers plus a powered sub woofer so i get a little better sound than using computers speakers,cost a few bucks more but i'm happy with the sound(almost).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm i tried the rca (if you mean the composite red and white plug) and it didnt work. but i did plug aux from the headphone jack to my line in and got 2 speakers to work
    Quote Quote  
  10. The good thing about using the headphone jack is that the volume control on the TV will work via its remote control. If you use audio line outs (red/white RCA connectors) from the TV you have to control the volume at the speakers or receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imdaman
    hmm i tried the rca (if you mean the composite red and white plug) and it didnt work. but i did plug aux from the headphone jack to my line in and got 2 speakers to work
    The headphone jack on your monitor is for stereo (2-channel) so two speakers is the best you can get using that source. ...But, since it came in from the microphone (line-in) port, is it still actually stereo, or is it mono audio, output through 2 speakers? Mono could sound worse than using your monitor's speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think most mic inputs on audio cards support stereo mics.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right most microphone ports allow a stereo microphone now.

After looking it up, I found that line-in (as opposed to microphone) ports can can be used for analog surround sound on most newer computers. ...But that monitor provides surround sound only via optical SPDIF. Anything else it has available in the way of audio out is stereo, so the best the OP can do without using optical SPDIF is stereo.
    Quote Quote