VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to convert dts 1510Kbps to 768 Kbps?
    I ask because since I bought a new LG Home Theatre system, every time I play a .mkv movie or a Blu-Ray disc with a dts soundtrack, it goes out of sync. 5.1 DD works fine. When I used MedianInfo to find out the bitrate I noticed all my .mkv's with dts have a 1510Kbps bitrate apart from X Men Origins: Wolverine. When I played this, it didn't go out of sync therefore, it must be the higher bitrate that causes the problem, so, if anyone knows how to change to a lower bitrate, it would be much appreciated 8)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would probably be easiest to just use popcorn mkv audioconverter and reconvert to ac3 5.1.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already use Eac3to to do that but, I want to keep the dts track for obvious reasons. My LG musn't be able to handle the higher bitrate, Wolverine has a bitrate of 755Kbps and doesn't go out of sync so it's just a case of finding out how to lower the bitrate, i'm having a go with Eac3to as I type but it doesn't look like it's working, unless i've done something wrong
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with the bitrate.

It probably got out of sync when it was encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, when you use a BluRay player to play MKV files, it's not going to work as well as a dedicated media player such as the Western Digital or similar models. There will be problems from time to time.

MKV conversions are not always flawless. I don't do this sort of thing but I've read about what others have done and sometimes the frame rates get messed up between the audio and video if the person doing the conversion is not careful and this can cause sync issues. For example, the audio will be at 23.976 fps but the video will be at 24 fps (not 23.976 fps but really 24 fps) or vice-versa.

I have never heard of any sync issue that was fixed by lowering an audio bit rate. It is possible to do what you propose, but I only know how to do it with commercial tools that you won't have. I suppose it might be theoretically possible that the decoding chip simply can't keep up with 1510 Kbps DTS in MKV and 768 Kbps really does work, but usually the problem is caused by the conversion process not being 100% correct.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with the bitrate.

It probably got out of sync when it was encoded.
    No, for 2 reasons, first of all, I have films that worked fine on my
    previous Home Theatre system which was a Sony and now doesn't
    work with the LG, secondly, i've encoded some films with the dts
    track included and it played fine on a friends Home Theatre but was
    out of sync on mine, i've phoned LG and i'm waiting for a call back from
    someone
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I already use Eac3to to do that but, I want to keep the dts track for obvious reasons.
    AC3 @ 640kbps is better than DTS @ 768 kbps.

OR:

1536kbps DTS --> 6 mono .WAVs --> (Surcode) --> 768kbps DTS

(you may also need Eac3to for removing the SPDIF padding from the new DTS file).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    well if it works on other equipment then obviously it's still not the bitrate but rather the equipment.
    Quote Quote