VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good afternoon everyone. I've been looking for some info on the following. I have a MacOsX and am trying to stream m2ts videos to my ps3. I'm using a software called Eyeconnect 1.1 but for some reason, the ps3 will not display the m2ts files. it will only display .avi files from my mac. I've configured eyeconnect to read from a specified folder where my m2ts files are but the ps3 won't read it. I'm using tsmuxer to convert my mkv files to m2ts.

please let me know if i'm doing something wrong. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. help please! if this is in the wrong section, can the mod please transfer this post to the proper section. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you.

Have you tried PS3 Media Server ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Baldrick, I just downloaded PS3 media server. My ps3 is able to see the m2ts files on my mac's HD but when I try to play it, it tells me that that file is corrupt, when the file isn't actually corrupt.

any way to work around this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 gives the corrupt message for files it simply cannot play. It does not mean the file is actually corrupt. If the PS3 hits a file it knows it cant play it gives the Unsupported Data message instead.

First thing I would try is the Transcode option, to make sure that PS3MS can read the files and send them through.

The other questions is where do these files come from ? If the come from a camera, not all m2ts are created equally and can be played by everything. You may have to repackage them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    First thing I would try is the Transcode option,

The other questions is where do these files come from ? If the come from a camera, not all m2ts are created equally and can be played by everything. You may have to repackage them.
    guns1inger, thanks for the reply. what is the transcode option? i clicked on the transcode tab and there are alot of options on it. what should I pick? As far as where the m2ts files come from, I get them from mkv files that I have converted to m2ts using tsMuXer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the transcode tab the main things to set are the audio (number of channels and bitrate) and the video bitrate. For wired you can go up to 15000 or so, for wireless I stick with around 8000.

When you connect on the PS3 end you will see a folder called trancode under the media server. Click on that and you will see your movies listed. Click on it, and it will tell PS3MS to transcode the movie.

As for your files - don't know. Other than to say that the original H264 in the MKV file must not be PS3 compliant.

I have not had this issue to date with any of the files I have played with, although I do find that none of the Apple trailers will repackage nicely for PS3 playback, and always need to be re-encoded.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    On the transcode tab the main things to set are the audio (number of channels and bitrate) and the video bitrate. For wired you can go up to 15000 or so, for wireless I stick with around 8000.
    gunslinger, how can i setup a wired connection from my laptop to my ps3 using this software? is there a tutorial out there that demonstrates how to do this. i have created some m2ts files from mkv files that I would like to see on my ps3 but they're over 10 gigs and will not fit on a dvd rl.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by carlosian View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. I've been looking for some info on the following. I have a MacOsX and am trying to stream m2ts videos to my ps3. I'm using a software called Eyeconnect 1.1 but for some reason, the ps3 will not display the m2ts files. it will only display .avi files from my mac. I've configured eyeconnect to read from a specified folder where my m2ts files are but the ps3 won't read it. I'm using tsmuxer to convert my mkv files to m2ts.

please let me know if i'm doing something wrong. thanks
    Same problem here... EyeConnect, unfortunately doesn't support .m2ts files.

What you can do is either:

1. Rename the file to .mp4, copy it to your PS3 and play it from there.

2. Download the very cheap (and, frankly, superior) MediaLink by NullRiver. This supports .m2ts files no problem.
    Last edited by m0thr4; 24th Mar 2010 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to stream the original mkv file with PS3MS, I do it all the time with no probs.
    If it doesn't work the mkv must be corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ulapines View Post
    Try to stream the original mkv file with PS3MS, I do it all the time with no probs.
    If it doesn't work the mkv must be corrupt.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the OP and I are using EyeConnect and, unfortunately, you can't run this and PS3 Media Server at the same time. If I switched to PS Media Server, then I'd lose the EyeTV-specific features that EyeConnect provides, so would inevitably end up having to change between the two on a regular basis. Remuxing as M2TS is a quick and trivial task, and of course in OS X, you can easily create a special folder that automatically renames the extension of your M2TS files when you drop them in (thanks Automator!).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by carlosian View Post
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    gunslinger, how can i setup a wired connection from my laptop to my ps3 using this software? is there a tutorial out there that demonstrates how to do this. i have created some m2ts files from mkv files that I would like to see on my ps3 but they're over 10 gigs and will not fit on a dvd rl.

thanks
    The simplest way is to buy an ethernet cable and connect one end to your laptop and the other to the PS3. The PS3 has a Gigabit ethernet port, so if your laptop has the same, then you want to buy Cat6 cable (rather than Cat5) for best performance.

The you will need to configure up a new network for both your laptop and PS3 to connect to but, without knowing the topology of your home network (and whether or not your PS3 and laptop normally connect wired or wirelessly to your home router), I can't give any further advice at this stage.
    Quote Quote