VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a new windows 7 computer and a new JVC HM400 video camera. Don't ask but it took my like 10 hours to find a program that would convert the avchd format to mpg and wmv (that actually worked and without making it look like garbage). Now for some reason I cannot edit the files! Its different on different video editing software for example...

In adobe Premier, I loaded them in to edit and all of a sudden it became unresponsive and then I had to restart and when I do premier keeps popping up with errors so now I need to re install it! Then since I am only doing basic stuff I figured I would try Windows Live Movie maker and after a few minutes of moving around the mpg files it keeps freezing. So I download the original windows movie maker 2.6 for windows 7 and I edit and make the whole movie which takes like 2 hours and then I click save and it it says it cannot export the movie because "blah blah make sure the files are in their original locations or check to make sure you have enough memory" and the files are right where they have been since I uploaded them, the original avchd ones AND the wmv and mpg conversions (all on my desktop) I tried doing it with wmv and mpg and same problems and tried different output methods.

I searched for other programs but all the ones that seem like they would work cost like a hundred bucks and I dont have any money after buying a new computer and new video camera. This is ridiculous because I make videos for my work and now I cannot do it at all so I havent been able to work in over a week just switching over technologies and now im really stuck. Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is why I will be using XP for video work for many years to come.
    Most of the problems I am hearing are from people using the 64 bit version of 7, I'm telling all my friends to get the 32 bit version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely wait until all the bugs and kinks are worked out. Windows 7 is not buggy or anything and is wayyyy better than vista EXCEPT when it comes to video editing. Plus I think many programs aren't really capable of properly editing and converting avchd files yet even if they say they can such as adobe which is supposed to be windows 7 compatible and it has options for using HD video files it still cant take them. Either way I can't get it done.

I think I am going to remake my movie in windows live move maker and just save it like every time i cut or add a transition or something because I really need to do some work so I can pay my damn bills.... but this is seriously pathetic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Windows 7 (both 32 and 64bit versions) and I have no problems with HD cam video files. I'm using both Vegas and Corel VideoStudio 12. I would NEVER go back to XP and so far the only programs that I traditionally use that I can't run is an old Windows95 music composition program. Window 7 is rock solid for video editing IMO
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I realize this is more of a conversion question but I have made progress... I downloaded the trial for corel (which is the full version but only lets you use it for 30 days or something). This is the absolutely crazy part! Corel will let me edit the .mts files into a movie and export as .mpg which is great! But doesn't let me totally customize it to the filesize specs I need to get it into (such as tell it to tone down the resolution even more or decrease audio quality only etc). So I figured I would use another converter I download to change the .mts files to .mpg and then edit the .mpg in corel but when I export it from corel it has no sound. What comes out of the "free hd converter" has sound but somehow corel doesnt recognize the sound. So close yet still not right. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or if I keep it .mts out of corel it works with sound but then when I down convert using the converter it has no sound but just using corel the sounds fine no matter what i do and just using the converter the sounds fine. Just if i mix them at all in any part of the process, no sound. UGHHHHH
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Common issues can be triggered by storing files on "desktop" ... it is not the place for storing large files

Instead use a TEMP folder on C:\ as storage
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already moved them to the documents>videos directory as thats where the camera automatically puts them. I actually deleted them and reloaded some new ones from the camera.

No change.
    Quote Quote