VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I've been using PS3 Video 9 to convert all of my .avi files to mp4s. Is this really necessary to do or can I play both .avi and .mp4 through the Media Server? Also, how can I get rid of the stuttering when I'm trying to watch something? I'm fairly new if you can't tell

On a side not, is there any type of program that can upgrade the quality of a mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you don't need to convert if you have a fast enough computer that can do REALtime conversion of the files that the ps3 doesn't support.

What files stutters? all video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems like whenever I convert to mp4 they stutter, I haven't tried just playing an .avi yet, I'll do that and get back here to reply. Ok so it seems like only some of them stutter. It looks as though anything I converted to MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2048kbps Stereo/160kbps 2-Pass seems to stutter. My Blair Witch Project doesn't though, probably due to the on screen size, not sure though. Should I reconvert those files to 720p?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find streaming even moderate bitrate MP4s to the PS3 (using WMP, PS3MS or TVersity) produces stuttering and buffering issues. Even with files as low as 1200 kbps. The same files encoded at the same (or higher) bitrate Divx or transcoded to high bitrate mpeg-2 on the fly (I have a quad core) play without any issues.

I now put my MP4 files on a portable drive and plug that directly into the PS3 instead.

Note : I stream wirelessly, but wireless is not the issue. MP4 streaming just seems to suck.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help guys. I figure I'll just put my mp4s on my 1TB drive after it's done formatting to FAT32 and plug it in to the PS3 as well.
    Quote Quote