VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.
    I recently purchased a HD helmet camera to record my skirmishes and games with my team (i'm the team's Tactical Medic and videographer). The quality is excellent, especially for a helme camera. But my problem is, the files record in .MOV format.

I edit my movies with Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, and occasionally Windows Movie Maker, depending on the requirements of the movie. The problem is, none of the programs support .MOV files, so they need to be converted. WMM doesnt detect them at all, Vegas imports them without audio and the first 10 seconds of video suspiciously missing, and premiere inports them with the colors all out of wack.

Anyway, what is the best format to convert them to to cause minimal quality loss? The videos record in 1280x720 HD. When I gave converting them to AVI a try (converting to AVI with both DivX and MPEG-4 codecs) the quality was so butchered it makes the money I spent on this camera almost a total waste. If it matters, I converted them with a program called "Convert MOV to AVI"

Specs on the video being converted:
    1280x720 HD
    29.8 FPS
    .MOV file

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try another converter like mpeg streamclip, mp4camtoavi or avidemux. Try use a lossless codec or use h264 or xvid with HIGH video bitrate and you wont lose that much quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright i'll give ita shot, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use ffmpeg to convert to DNxHD .MOV, then edit in Sony Vegas. Need to install Quicktime and DNxHD codec for Vegas to support the converted .mov
    Quote Quote