VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to look in the How to's area, but I couldn't find a guide for this.

Any recommendations for programs/instructions on how to convert an ogm file into an mp4 for an iPod 5.0G (320x240; .mp4/mpeg4)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVIDemux might be able to do it; it has an iPod preset.

Use MediaInfo or GSpot to take a look at the OGM - usually, most OGMs I've seen are actually an Xvid AVI video stream and at least one Ogg audio stream, plus perhaps a subtitle stream or more, and can be remuxed into an AVI container with a little effort (if, for example, it's easier for the converters you have to handle AVIs).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I remux it into an AVI container?

I looked inside, there're two audios, and a video, and two subtitle files.

I don't understand why, but my trusty E.M. Total Video Converter won't convert it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you only want one of the audio streams, or both?

The way I used to do it (haven't worked with an OGM in some time) was to demux all the streams (audio, video, subtitles) from the OGM using (the command-line) OGMDemuxer, then convert one or all the audio tracks to MP3 and mux them into the AVI, adding the subtitle streams if necessary. (Yes, the hard way. )

It's supposed to also be possible to do this in VirtualDubMod - just load the OGM and save to AVI, disabling one or more audio streams in Streams > "Stream list" if you want... but for some reason, all the OGMs I've tried converting with VDubMod in recent times have ended up with no audio whatsoever.

In AVIDemux, you can try loading the OGM, setting the main Video dropdown on the left to "Copy," the main Audio dropdown to "MP3 (lame)" and the Format dropdown to "AVI", then go to the File menu, Save > Save Video... and enter the name of the file you want to save, making sure to add the .AVI extension (AVIDemux doesn't do that for you). I don't remember if you can pick the audio track(s) you want with AVIDemux, though.

Subtitles can be added (hardsubs) to the video, but they have to be added externally.

Alternately, since you're trying to convert to an iPod-compatible format, in AVIDemux, you can also try loading the video, then go to the Auto menu, pick "Apple" and then the iPod format that applies to which iPod you have. (I only have an old 4G non-video iPod; my sister has one, but I haven't tried converting video for it using AVIDemux, so I can't comment on how well it works for that.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ogm to mp4 on most cases needs re-encoding. Avidemux is the best.

You can't remux ogm to avi and add subs. You must - again - re-encode with the subs (hard subbing).

The absolute easiest way to convert ogm to something useful, with a simply click, is to convert to mkv using MKVtoolnix. That preserves the elements of the file as is, doesn't re-encode something and can be playback by various players without the issues we have to deal with the (earlier) ogm files.
    I don't own an i-phone neither an i-pod, but I own a Nokia N82 cellphone, based on symbian OS. I use coreplayer with it and I can playback mkv files with subtitles with it. I bet something similar must be for i-phones, but I don't know for i-pods.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't remux ogm to avi and add subs. You must - again - re-encode with the subs (hard subbing).
    That's not true. AVI/.divx supports muxed subtitle streams. I used to do that when converting MKVs and (remuxing) OGMs for my standalone DVD player (at that time, the Philips DVP-642). It worked fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You probably talking about the AVIAddXSubs and AviSub "workaround".

Those generated files indeed include the subs muxed on the avi (and when you use DivX in specific), but then it turns the opposite situation on the PCs : Only few software video players show them on screen (that was the issue when I tried it, a couple of years ago).
    I don't know if that solved lately regarding the PC playback.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I muxed them in normally, using VirtualDubMod, as I recall, and they registered as standard subtitle streams that played on all my software players (I'll admit to not using WMP, though ), and my standalone (642).

Did you have (Direct)VobSub and/or ffdshow installed, as well as Haali Media Splitter?

I haven't done it lately, because I work more with .ass subtitles at the moment, and it's better to hardcode them when I want to view them on the DVD player I'm using (the Phillips 5990) than convert them to .srt and lose all the effects.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always use ffdshow.

I have never used VirtualdubMod to mux subs on an avi container .

I tried it lot's of times with AVIAddXSubs and AviSub. It was successful on ALL the DVD players that supported Divx/XviD, and it was the only way to have Greek subtitles on players that didn't support them officially.
    But the produced files never show subs on mpc, vlc, kantaris, gom, etc.

When those solutions appeared, 3 years ago (early 2007 I think), I was switching to H264 and since then I rarely use avi. I'm into mkv now.

Unfortunate, ass/ssa subs indeed doesn't playback correctly on anything except computers. My popcorn hour convert them on the fly to srt, but sometimes that makes it impossible to follow them on screen (especially with anime and series like Macross Frontier... )

Re-encoding so to harbsub the subtitles, is not an option, because for me all movies/series/etc need subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinFF should do it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    is 5there any site that i can downloads videos that are in RMVB format directly? please help me

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Bye bye.
    / Moderator Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My 642 wasn't Ultra-certified, of course, so the AVIAddXSubs solution wouldn't work for it - and most of my conversions for it occurred before AVIAddXSubs was released, anyway.

I haven't bothered creating softsubs for anything I've converted for my 5990, though, because I'm generally just going to watch something once and delete it from my USB pen. If I want the subs, I just add them as a hardsub using AVIDemux (which didn't work all that great on my previous systems, but on the Vista64 system I have in my Computer Details, it's working great... except for MP4s. )

Of course, if I do want to watch something and have the subtitles be switchable, there's always the computer - and the 5990 is Ultra-certified, so I can use AVIAddXSubs with it. Assuming it doesn't complain about the subtitles...

I'd just like it if there was a way to render .ass to VobSubs.
    Quote Quote