VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am using the hauppauge hd pvr 1212 with Total Media Extreme (came with the pvr) to capture xbox game play in hd. When I play back the mp4 file created its has a super clear picture but as soon as I move fast I see a bunch of black squares every where.

Im not sure what to try. The final video is 1920 x 1080 which is huge, but I don't see any kind of settings in Total Media Extreme to capture it in a smaller resolution. Could this be the problem? Is there better software that is compatible with the haupauge that can capture in hd?

My pc more than meets the requirements set by haupauge, I've tried adjusting the bitrate all the way upto 13.5.

I'd appreciate if someone could give me some advise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you mean by "as soon as I move fast"? Do you mean when the action in the game gets fast or when you fast forward?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when the action in the game moves fast.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What player are you using? Did the TS or M2TS file directly from the HD PVR have the same problem? How did you get the file from TS to MP4?

The specs listed for your computer are borderline. I don't think a GeForce 7150 has hardware h.264 decoding and a 2 GHz A64 X2 is borderline. What kind of CPU usage do you see while playing the video?

The HD PVR captures in the format of the signal it receives. If you feed it 1080i you will get 1920x1080i TS file. If you feed it 720p you will get a 1280x720p TS file. Try switching the xbox to 720p?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    What player are you using? Did the TS or M2TS file directly from the HD PVR have the same problem? How did you get the file from TS to MP4?
    There is a setting, I can capture into a .ts , m2ts, or mp4. When I capture into a mp4 I got the problem above. When I capture into m2ts and then take that into sony vegas and edit then render into an mp4 I dont have the problem with the black squares.

The specs listed for your computer are borderline. I don't think a GeForce 7150 has hardware h.264 decoding and a 2 GHz A64 X2 is borderline. What kind of CPU usage do you see while playing the video?
    CPU usuage averages around low to mid 80's to lower 90's.

The HD PVR captures in the format of the signal it receives. If you feed it 1080i you will get 1920x1080i TS file. If you feed it 720p you will get a 1280x720p TS file. Try switching the xbox to 720p?
    I will try this and see if it helps, of coarse then I couldnt play my game in 1080

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah, I didn't realize they added MP4 as an output option. My older software still only supports TS and M2TS.

With CPU usage around 90 percent you may simply not have enough CPU power to decode and display the video correctly. The fact that Vegas can convert a TS file to something else indicates the data in the TS file is fine. Can you convert the captured MP4 files with Vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I switched my xbox to 780p and then captured into a mp4 and its awesome quality now.

One last question. When I take the good file into sony vegas to edit and then render, the final video has a slight motion blur (the original was crystal clear). Is this a framerate issue?

Original file specs = 1280 x 780, 60.006fps, recorded at 10 bitrate

Do I want render the edited video at the same fps? Im not really sure how that all works. I thought maybe thats why it was blurry a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The option he ref to the is Xbox (MP4) option which is for Xbox playback
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jwack
    One last question. When I take the good file into sony vegas to edit and then render, the final video has a slight motion blur (the original was crystal clear). Is this a framerate issue?

Original file specs = 1280 x 780, 60.006fps, recorded at 10 bitrate

Do I want render the edited video at the same fps?
    What type of file are you producing? What container, what codecs? What do you plan to do with the final video? Playback via the Xbox? Upload to Youtube?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is what I want to do. Take the mp4 that I captured from my xbox, import into vegas, edit/trim it, then upload to youtube. I read online that an mp4 at 59.064 fps at 1280x740 res is good for hd on youtube. When im capturing it produces an mp4 at 60.006fps. Im not sure about the codecs, in the capture program it says NTSC_M under video standard, that doesnt mean anything to me?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm pretty sure Youtube will reduce the frame rate to 30 fps so you might as well do that yourself to save bandwidth when uploading.

Youtube supports a variety of codecs. Try h.264 minimum size and maximum quality.
    Quote Quote