VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any software that can play back this format?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try a blu-ray player like TMT or PowerDVD. Or play the avchd m2ts files using MPCHC or Splash.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For freeware, you're out of luck, unless, as already noted, you play the *.m2ts with MPCHC.

I finally got around to trying Splash. I see no advantage to it at all. The hardware acceleration checkbox is grayed out (feature not yet added?). With MPCHC, my CPU usage is in the single digits using DXVA, with Splash, it's over 60%. Despite what the description of the program implies, it won't play AVCHD from folder with chapter/navigation, only the *.m2ts. Wait for improvements to the program.

Best players now, IMO, are TME and TMT, neither one is free.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Both TME and TMT are quite big. Is there any player in a smaller package?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by cheerful
    Both TME and TMT are quite big. Is there any player in a smaller package?

Thanks!
    They're both smaller than the latest PowerDVD. :P Which many people dislike (myself included), because it's barely functional. WinDVD is almost as big and even worse. That's about it for Blu-Ray players that can play with full navigation.

BTW, TME (and I presume TMT) use DXVA without any fiddling.

[EDIT] TME was included with my HD-PVR. In addition to Digital Theater (the player), it has modules for capture, AVCHD editing/creation, and media converter. The latter two aren't all that great, although they work. There are freeware alternatives that are better. So unless you need the capture module, I'd recommend TMT.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMT3 can also be used through Windows Media Center if you like integration.
    Quote Quote