VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to know how to convert a 720p/60fps ts file to a 720p/30fps mkv file. I've used ripbot before but I don't see the option to do this anywhere and I wondering if's possible with this program. I know how to do this with virtualdubmod but I run into other issues. If there is nothing that can be done with ripbot, any other recommended programs?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The framerate it's supposed to be might be 30fps. If it's a movie almost certainly it's supposed to be 24fps. If the source was originally interlaced it's supposed to be progressive 60fps, or interlaced 30fps. An Avisynth script frameserved to your encoder is one way to reduce the framerate. To get progressive 30fps (which might remove half the movement):

SelectEven()

To get 24fps:

SelectEven()
    TDecimate() #or Decimate, depending on if you use TIVTC or Decomb to do the frame reduction.

A small sample, one showing movement (10 seconds is plenty), uploaded somewhere so we can have a look would help. I don't use Ripbot, so I can't help there. If you know what you're doing you can edit the AviSynth script in XviD4PSP to do these things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

The file is definitely 720p/60fps (sports programming). I used the hauppauge HD PVR to capture the vid. Here is a 10 second sample as you requested:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/308278270/sample_cut.ts.html

Concerning ripbot, it appears I might be able to edit the script though I'm not sure if that's possible since changing the FPS is not one of the options on the side (there's a few pages worth):

I've used xvid4psp before but I just remember it taking forever to encode, something like 2-3 times longer then ripbot but I'm guessing this might be in part due to the encoding settings which I really don't know too much about but I've been happy with the default settings of ripbot which is why I prefer to use this program is possible.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, sports. You can't just leave it at 60fps and not reencode it? By cutting out half the frames you'll also be losing half the fluidity of motion. Not to mention the quality loss that reencoding entails. Anyway:

SelectEven()

in an AviSynth script will save out every other frame and make it 30fps. Like I said though, I don't know how you implement that in Ripbot, but it looks as if you can edit the script before encoding.
    ...I'm not sure if that's possible since changing the FPS is not one of the options on the side
    Removing half the frames will automatically also cut the framerate in half, keeping it the same length as originally (audio remains in synch).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    60fps looks incredible and this is ideal (I usually just mux the orignal ts file into into a mkv container) but I do like to share my videos with others and the computers of some simply can't handle it so I'm planning on using 30fps and cutting the bitrate in half which should work for just about everyone.

Are far as this script: SelectEven()

Should I try typing this into the ripbot script?

Here is what it looks like but I'm not sure where I should do it:
    #MT

#VideoSource

video=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\*******\Desktop\* ****************.mkv",audio=false).ConvertToYV12()

#Deinterlace

#Decimate

#Crop

#Resize

#Colors

#Denoise

#Subtitles

#AudioSource
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\********\Downloads\RipBot264v 1.14.3\tools\AviSynth plugins\NicAudio\NicAudio.dll")
    audio=NicAC3Source("C:\temp\RipBot264temp\job1\aud io.1.ac3")
    audio=ResampleAudio(audio,48000)
    #DownMix

#Delay
    audio=DelayAudio(audio,0)

#Tempo

#Normalize

#AudioDub
    audio=ConvertAudioTo16bit(audio)
    AudioDub(video,audio)

#Triming

#AVSameLength

#ColorSpace
    ConvertToRGB
    Quote Quote  
  6. It doesn't really matter where you put it. However, it can go under the "Decimate" heading since you're decimating half the frames.

I was just reading in the main Ripbot thread over at Doom9. People all the time add lines to the basic script. It shouldn't have any trouble giving you a 30fps result.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    It doesn't really matter where you put it. However, it can go under the "Decimate" heading since you're decimating half the frames.
    Yes, it can go almost anywhere. But note that if you put it anywhere before the AudioDub line (eg in the Decimate section), you will need to write it as
    video = video.SelectEven()
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, that sort of works but not quite.

I tried pasting it into the 'decimate' section and I got the following error:
    "Script error: Invalid Arguments to function "SelectEven"

I pasted it into the very end under 'color space' just screwing around to see what would happen and it worked but here's the problem. The framerate comes out correct (29.97) and it seems to be in sync but the second 10 video stops at 5 seconds and the audio continues.

I'm not sure if this is a ripbot issue or an avisync issue (or both) but if this is beyond what you can help me with let me know and I'll swing by that thread on doom9 and see they can help.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My last reply was to manono. Gavino, that works perfect! Thank you guys so much.

A couple follow up questions...
    Is there a difference between changefps, convertfps, and selecteven (is there a selectodd?)?

In an effort to maintain similar quality to the original file, should I just be cutting the video bitrate in half since there's 1/2 as much information or does that depend on the encoding settings?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mt123
    Is there a difference between changefps, convertfps, and selecteven (is there a selectodd?)?
    If you are exactly halving the frame rate, then changefps, convertfps, and selecteven will do exactly the same - throw away every second frame. (as will selectodd, but throwing the different half away).
    For other frame rate conversions, changefps will drop or duplicate frames, whereas convertfps will blend frames in appropriate proportions to produce the new ones.

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/ChangeFPS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guess I should have made it clear, but yea, I meant if your halving the frames. Thanks for the explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Gavino
    Yes, it can go almost anywhere. But note that if you put it anywhere before the AudioDub line (eg in the Decimate section), you will need to write it as
    video = video.SelectEven()
    Yeah, thanks. I hadn't noticed that.
    Quote Quote