VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.
    I would like to know how to make a perfect 700 mb AVI xvid rip of my DVDs.
    Iīve read in here that AutoGK is the best. But when I use that with a 90
    min. movie it still gets very pixelated in action scenes. I use 2-pass conversion.
    I know it takes a lot of settings and calculations, but what are the secrets,
    and whatīs the best program(s) to use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It really depends.
    Some swear by Fairuse Wizard, others say XVID4PSP, and some say Gordian Knot and still more like Avisynth.
    Other things to consider is what audio choice you have made on a 700mb cd I use a 128 mp3.

You have to play around with them AutoGK and Fairuse are the easiest its just click and go granted FW has a few more visual settings for you than AutoGK. Give it a try.

Or even XVID4PSP with all of its settings (FCP version) you can go wrong with any of them it just depands on how and what you are encoding and watching on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot put 90 minutes into a 700 MB file and not get pixelation in the action scenes encoding with Xvid/Divx unless you are happy with a resolution of 300 x nnn. I don't care what you think you have seen or downloaded, or what your friends tell you, it cannot be done.

You will get better results using H264 for video compression.

700MB is a meaningless, arbitrary file size chosen in the days when people downloaded their movies to burn to CD. This is no longer a limitation, and holding to the pointless size limit only leads to substandard results.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bagmand22
    But when I use that with a 90
    min. movie it still gets very pixelated in action scenes. I use 2-pass conversion.
    Post the log from that encode. I suspect that you set a fixed width, thus taking away AutoGK's ability to give you a decent result. And as the guns1inger said, it's not really possible to get a perfect 700 mb AVI. But with the log we might be able to give some advice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Question: will standalone DVD players that play AVI also be able to play H264? I just encoded a lot of AVI (using Virtual Dub Mod Xvid Mpeg4, 2 hours program material, 420MB) at 360kbps. Of course it looks terrible when there is movement. But if there is very little movement, it looks pretty good. It also plays on a regular standalone DVD player. I am wondering if there is any way to improve on this Xvid encoding, possibly another program besides VirtualDub Mod (and still be able to play on standalone DVD player). I basically want the best possible video (within reason) in the smallest file size that will play on a standalone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. Most DVD players that can play DivX/Xvid won't play h.264-encoded video.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However if you do a quality based encode, and allow the size to fall where it needs to, you will get a better quality image, and it will still be playable.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think there are a very few standalone players that can play MKV, probably using the H.264 codec. This may change in the future as the codec becomes more mainstream.

If you really want to put a two hour XviD on a CD: The VideoHelp Bitrate calculator says you would end up with about 600Kb/s bitrate. That's using 192Kb/s MP3 audio. I would run the video through a deblocking filter before encoding, such as the one from MSU: http://compression.ru/video/deblocking/smartdeblocking_en.html A shorter movie would give you more bitrate. Definitely use two pass encoding.

You can try some short clips in VirtualDub with different settings to see what it might look like. You might also drop one of those 700MB XviDs that someone else has encoded into MediaInfo and you should be able to tell most of the settings they used. You can also decrease the audio bitrate a little lower to maybe 160Kb/s and squeeze a bit more room for video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Fairuse Wizard to do a dvd backup with x264 codec 2-pass.
    Really impressive results. Fast and not pixalated. A little blurry in some scenes, but great. But how do i play them on my PS3?
    PS3 media server works, but i donīt want do stream them from my PS3.
    I want to put them on my PS3 through USB key.
    Is there a progam where i can change the container so that PS3 will read them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming the meet the PS3 requirements for encoding, all you have to do is put the film on your USB key and put it in the pS3.

The trick is that the PS3, by default, looks for a proscribed set of folders. If you have a folder called Movies, and put the file in that folder, the PS3 will see it straight away.

If you don't, just highlight the USB key, press the Triangle button and select Show All Files (or similar) and you can browse the lot.

You haven't said what container you are currently outputting to. The PS3 reads mp4 and m2ts happily. It won't read mkvs.

If it doesn't read your file - you get the Corrupted Data message or similar - then you have not encoded it in a compliant manner. Which is why I prefer Xvid4PSP. For me it is far faster than FUW, and always produces PS3 compliant output.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Itīs an AVI container. So will it work with MP4 instead?
    Canīt remember if that is possible in FUW.
    Does Xvid4PSP have x264 codec? If so i will try that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP has a PS3 preset that does most of the work for you. You can also use it to re-package you existing AVI into a MP4 container without re-encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am, as usual, baffled why anyone wants to go to all this work converting a dvd they own, surely with hard drives sizes being so cheap, it can be stored as a dvd, enlighten me someone.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote