VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this French film DVD I was able to buy from someone, but it has no subtitles. Looked online and found Spanish and Portugese subtitles, but not English. Anyone here that speaks Spanish who wants to make a few $$ doing this translation for me? I want to give the DVD to my Dad for his birthday on Saturday if possible...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the name of the movie? You might try http://www.opensubtitles.org...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the name of the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vivre Pour Vivre or Live For Life, made in 1967
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't find anyone, I am willing to make a go. It appears that many people want to see an English translation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lowellriggsiam, sent you a PM
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leghorn
    What's the name of the movie? You might try http://www.opensubtitles.org...

The correct sight is http://www.opensubtitles.org/en (without any DOTS after)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I meant: http://www.opensubtitles.org
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yup, searched there; that's where I found the spanish and portugese subs. Looked all over the net for English and they don't seem to exist...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want a Spanish to English translation, or a French to English translation?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the subtitles I have are in Spanish, and the movie is spoken in French. I thought it would be easier for someone to translate the existing subtitles in spanish (to english) rather than having to go through the whole movie generating subtitles from scratch. Obviously, the end result should be English subtitles..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So how dose google translate handle the conversion ... I do 100 subtitle strings at a time then make corrections after ... doc upload dosen't work

Subtitlecreator has google translate as a feature
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    Well, the subtitles I have are in Spanish, and the movie is spoken in French. I thought it would be easier for someone to translate the existing subtitles in spanish (to english) rather than having to go through the whole movie generating subtitles from scratch. Obviously, the end result should be English subtitles..
    I assume you're going to pay someone for doing this as I can't imagine anyone volunteering to do it for free. If they don't care, pay them to translate the French. I've never seen subtitles yet that didn't take a few liberties with the translation, but if you decide to just translate the Spanish into English then they'll probably be close enough.

I don't recommend using machine based translators for this and if you attempt to do it that way you'll understand why. Your father will need to be VERY forgiving of bad grammar and the occasional nonsensical or incorrect translation. Many European languages use double negatives and software based translators often botch this. For example, saying "I don't have no money" is quite correct in Spanish and I think French, yet a computer might mistakenly translate that into "I have money" when in English the correct translation is "I don't have any money".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I fixed up(not a complete translation - I'm NOT that good) English subs on a German movie once....that took some time to say the least....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    I fixed up(not a complete translation - I'm NOT that good) English subs on a German movie once....that took some time to say the least....
    I did it once for part 1 of a 4 part Russian movie. I used what was the best software Russian to English translation program available at the time 4 years ago and I still had to work many hours on fixing what it gave me. It definitely saved me time over doing it myself, but the output was not as close as I would have liked. In fact it was so time consuming that 4 years later I still can't motivate myself to do the work to fix the part 2 translations it gave me. I guess if it ever becomes really important to me I may just pay someone I know to do the work for me. This movie series is almost completely unknown outside of Russia (the English translation is "Shield and Sword") and the odds of it ever coming out with English subtitles is very close to zero. In fact,
    the whole thing was so much work that I have yet to buy parts 3 and 4 of the series because I felt that I better finish translating part 2 first and I still haven't done that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It better be a good movie for all that work
    Quote Quote  
  17. text Deleted - the information and link that was previous here is no longer valid
    Quote Quote