VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please, help me to open APE+CUE (or FLAC+CUE) lossless compressed audio CD image, better in Media Player Classic. APE file appears to be not splitted to tracks, so if I simply open it I can see only one "joined" track instead of several tracks, which is uncomfortable. CUE file contains information about tracks. So, is there a way to open CUE, not an APE file in Media Player Classic to let me see tracks in playlist, for example?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Usually a .CUE file is just instructions on how to burn the file for the computer itself. The .BIN file contains the actual file. Usually you need both. You may be able to edit the files with Winamp or foobar2000. VLC media player should be able to play them. I don't know if MPC can.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use an Audio player like foobar2k..If the CUE was created properly, it'll play the track playlist..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, thanks you all for your suggestions, although it would be very pity for me to change my favorite player I'll try...

upd: seems to me foobar2000 is a quite good audio player but... well the best audio player I've ever saw was mpxplay.
    http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/. It was long ago, it was DOS and it was my great wish to play MP3s in DOS. So I found Mpxplay and I was extremely pleased of using it.

The main feature I was still missing is ability to create and edit current play list dynamically easily adding songs from different directories and disks using common 'F5' button in two-panel mode (the same way as in MC/FAR/NC): left panel is for disk files and the right is for playlist that can be played now as well as saved/loaded. So I could easily build a list of songs I want to hear now. And indeed, this list for me might be very different from day to day... Mpxplay is the most comfortable player I ever saw before, really. I miss it very much.

Now I wonderfully discover that Win32/console version of Mpxplay appeared, and of course it natively support CUE+API as playlist. I'll try to add it here as a tool! There is almost nothing to wish anymore, just there are some troubles with filenames in russian. And it is a little weird to use console character graphics for audio playing because too few information could be displayed on the screen.

I do not know, maybe someone could advice me the same good player for Windows?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe one of the programs that'll let you mount disc images (> fool the system into believing they're actual discs in a CD/DVD drive) would work, and let MPC believe it's an actual CD in the drive, so you could play it through MPC that way.

Do CUE sheets let you specify APE files as tracks? I thought it only worked for wave and MP3 files, at least...
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wouldn't hurt to get a copy of Trader's Little Helper to convert the ape files to wav or flac.

The suggestion of using a disc mounting tool to fool the system into thinking there is a physical disc in the drive is a good idea. I seem to remember doing that at lease once. I mounted the cue in Daemon Tools and then ripped the mounted "disc" to individual tracks using EAC.

For a player, I still love Foobar2000.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To mount disk is a very good idea, but, unfortunately my Daemon Tools doesn't mount cue+ape, saying 'incorrect wave format', maybe something missing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, forgot to reply to this.

Some of the virtual-image mounters and other software don't seem to handle cue+audio file formats other than the basic .wav and maybe .mp3 versions, as well (or at all), which is one of the reasons I asked about cue+ape. You might have to 'burn' it to an .iso and mount that, instead, or decompress the .ape files to .wav (and adjust the .cue file accordingly).

Are you using the latest version of Daemon Tools? I don't know if MagicDisc, or any of the other virtual-disc mounters (doesn't Alcohol have one?) have the same kind of problem.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote