VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a silly question that I don't think has been asked. Q: If I rip a movie off a 50gb disk but the movie takes less than 25 gb can I re-burn it to a 25gb disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends if you want it to play AS-IS with all the normal authored info intact, and what format you want it to be...

If you want it AS-IS (working just like on the original), then NO.

If you want only the movie and SOME menus, extras, etc., you'd have to re-author it for it to work(so you'd need BD-authoring software) - probably not a problem, but there is some overhead you may not be considering. Otherwise, NO.

If you only want the movie, but you want it to be playable on a BDplayer (software or hardware), you'd either need BD-authoring software, or something like an AVCHD disc (using MultiAVCDHD, etc). But it's certainly possible (25GB, that is).

If you don't care about the file format or the player (assuming playing on PC software), then yes it's possible, even likely.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick answer. It wasn't quite the answer I was looking for but you have given me some good food for thought. Again, thanks for the quick answer.

Quote Quote  
  4. Not a silly question and not difficult.

I assume you have ripped the disc to hard drive? Also that you have installed ffdshow, Haali splitter, and MPCHC (all free).

1) Open the STREAM folder and have a look at file sizes of the *.m2ts files. Play the largest one with MPCHC to verify it is the main movie. Note total running time.

2) Say the *.m2ts file name is, for example, *.00028.m2ts. Open tsMuxer, navigate to the PLAYLIST folder and choose the *.00028mpls (playlist file). You should see the main movie load into tsMuxer, video, audio, and subs (PGS or presentation graphics streams). Also chapter timings. Check the runtime is correct.

3) Occasionally, there will *not* be a corresponding *.mpls file with the same number as the *.m2ts. If so, try them one at a time. Check the runtime.

4) Deselect all but one audio stream and one subs stream. Check under the Blu-Ray tab that you have the chapter timings. Important Note: It will also work if you select the *.m2ts rather than the *.mpls. However, you will lose correct chapter timings. Chapters will be automatically inserted every 5 minutes, unless you change that option under the Blu-Ray tab.

5) Choose Blu-Ray for output and mux. Will the main movie files now fit on a BD-25?

6) Burn with ImgBurn.

Good luck.

[EDIT] If you have AnyDVDHD running, you can do the above directly, without the intermediate step of ripping to hard drive.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Two alternate methods:

1) Open the ripped movie folder in BDRB. Set BDRB options to "Main Movie", and output size to BD25. In setup choose which subs to keep. Start BDRB. BDRB will extract movie only and copy it to a new folder you specify. (Assuming it will fit and a re-encode is not therefore necessary). If it won't fit, BDRB will re-encode.

2) If you want everything, menus and extras, deselect the "main movie" option, set to BD25 and it will re-encode. Depending on your computer, it may take quite a while!

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are we over-complicating this question?

Is the OP asking simply if a 25-gb movie, burned/pressed to a 50-gb disc (i.e., taking up only HALF the capacity of the original disc), ripped to a HD, can then simply be burned to a 25-gb disc (using up all/most of the space)?

Sort of like asking if 15 minutes of sound recorded to a 30-minute audio cassette can be dubbed to a 15-minute cassette? Obviously, the "analog" answer is, "yes" since there's nothing special about the larger vs. smaller cassette.

IS there something unique about the larger disc's being required; i.e., the original movie couldn't just as easily have been burned/pressed to a 25-gb disc in the first place?

So, unless there's some unidentified requirement to have burned a movie to a disc that was twice as large as was needed, the answer to the OP's question is . . . .

"Yes."

Or have I over-SIMPLIFIED?

(I'm assuming the OP's use of "disk" should be "disc", to differentiate between hard drive "disks" and CD/DVD/BD "discs".)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hmm, I don't own any major studio movie on pressed BD disc that, in toto, has less than 25GB content. The studios bulk out discs with oh-so-wonderful value-adding extras. Even though main movie is often less than 25GB. But I guess there may be some.

If the OP has indeed a BD rip that is less than 25GB, then yeah, it's a silly question. If, OTOH, it's the way I interpreted it, then the OP means the main movie is less than 25GB. [shrugs]

Waiting on the OP for clarification. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually there are quite a few single layer studio released BD's out there, not so many recent ones, but a lot of the early ones were.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, Grain, but they were as you said, on SL (aka 25GB) discs to start with.
    Once H'wood jumped up to 50GB (DL) discs, they've pretty much stuck to builking them out. Sure, the main movie itself could be <25GB, but then you're back to Reauthoring, like I said in my original answer.

Scott
    Quote Quote