VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I know how to hardcode subtitles into .avi file.

I'm using XBOX360 and struggling to watch my movies with subtitles. Xbox360 doesn't play softcoded subtitles. Is there any way to hardcode\embed subtitles to MP4 or MKV files without harming the video quality?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hardcode means that you must reconvert the video and then will you harm the video quality. Use for example latest handbrake beta or xvid4psp.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if AVIDemux will work as well (though I don't know the specifics videos must be encoded to for the 360... AVIDemux has a preset for the Zune, but not the 360.)

But, yes, for hardsubbing, the subtitles must be made a part of the actual video data, so re-encoding is unavoidable.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Great guys. So this is what I understand:
    1. I have to re-encode the MKV\MP4 file in order to have hardcode3d subtitles on it.
    2. Re-encoding will harm the video quality.
    Ai Haibara: I wonder if AVIDemux will work as well (though I don't know the specifics videos must be encoded to for the 360
    Xbox 360 supports mp4 with 2 channel audio stream (such as stereo).

Well my question is: is there any re-encoder that can make my MKV file as best as it can be (quality wise) and hardcode subtitles into it?
    I have the Xvid4PSP installed - so a walkthrough will be appreciated! thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to do this as well. I have Handbrake but so far have not been able to embed the subtitles into the video. Does anybody have specifics on how to do it? If it can't be done with Handbrake is there specifics on Xvid4PSP? I've never used it and would rather not download and install it unless I have to and know it will work

Thanks in advance.
    -Dave
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done it successfully using Avidemux. Use these builds, they're fresh out of the oven and seem to work well. No need to install, just unzip.

http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/

The file to launch the app is avidemux2_qt4.exe

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/how-to-get-started-with-avidemux-edit-and-conve...t-t357763.html
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  7. The AviDemux link says I'm not allowed access to the server.

edit: I got it. Evidently it prefers you to be on the web page and click the button or the error msg was erroneous.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're right. Worked last night, but you know....
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does AviDemux work with other containers like MKV? I'm pretty sure I tried that tool and it only supported AVI input files. 99% of the files I want to add subs to are MKVs and I'd prefer not having to convert the MKV to AVI then re-encode the AVI with the subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use AVIDemux to create AVIs with hardsubs generated from .ass subtitles from MKVs for my DVD player, all the time.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My bad. I've tried so many different tools I got confused. I've had AVIDemux forever and didn't know it could deal with MKVs, but it's currently encoding a test video which I'm sure will work great. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi guys, sweet forum you got here, another great and straight forward tool for adding subtitles to MKV videos:

http://www.dreevoo.com/en/content.php?id=1091

Works like a charm and it's fast like
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gitmo View Post
    Hi guys, sweet forum you got here, another great and straight forward tool for adding subtitles to MKV videos:

http://www.dreevoo.com/en/content.php?id=1091

Works like a charm and it's fast like
    That is no hardcoding/burned in subtitles. Not all players supports so called muxed subtitles in a mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok, fair enough. I just got the Sony BDV-EF220 and it really does work. But I guess on the older models that could be a problem yes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm using AVIDemux for Linux Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid and every time I add a TTF font to the Subtitle plug in I get "Cannot identify subtitle format". Absolutely no TTF font will work. I am using Latin-1/UTF-8 encoding, neither one works. The video file is an MKV trying to hardcode subs into an MPEG2 (mpeg2enc) format for DVD.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by badrx View Post
    I'm using AVIDemux for Linux Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid and every time I add a TTF font to the Subtitle plug in I get "Cannot identify subtitle format". Absolutely no TTF font will work. I am using Latin-1/UTF-8 encoding, neither one works. The video file is an MKV trying to hardcode subs into an MPEG2 (mpeg2enc) format for DVD.

For what it's worth, using a Windows PC, Ripbot264 works perfectly for hardcoding subs into an .mkv or .mp4. I know you were looking for something that works with Linux but I haven't found anything in that arena.... I haven't really looked, though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    badrx: Create a new thread instead of using old dead threads that does NOT use linux software. And if you are making a dvd you can use switchable subtitles using DVD STyler....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    badrx: Create a new thread instead of using old dead threads that does NOT use linux software. And if you are making a dvd you can use switchable subtitles using DVD STyler....
    tthanks Baldrick, sorry about that. im gonna pull my noob card on this one.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    Originally Posted by badrx View Post
    I'm using AVIDemux for Linux Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid and every time I add a TTF font to the Subtitle plug in I get "Cannot identify subtitle format". Absolutely no TTF font will work. I am using Latin-1/UTF-8 encoding, neither one works. The video file is an MKV trying to hardcode subs into an MPEG2 (mpeg2enc) format for DVD.

For what it's worth, using a Windows PC, Ripbot264 works perfectly for hardcoding subs into an .mkv or .mp4. I know you were looking for something that works with Linux but I haven't found anything in that arena.... I haven't really looked, though.
    LOL thanks --all good.
    Quote Quote