VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very elementary query, apologies

I have Sony RDR HXD 890 DVD/HDD on which I record DTV films etc. The editing facilities within the machine are primitive and I would like to dub a whole recorded film onto a DVD RW disk & edit it on my PC using VideoRedo or similar.

Problems is that RW disks seem to be limited to 4.5G and the video will not hi-speed dub anything which exceeds the size limitations of this size disk. I could use 8.5G discs but as far as I can see once only – (no RW’s in this size DVD hence expensive).

It would be simple if the EPG based recording could be divided into parts. This can be achieved by recording with the timer but this is complicated & time consuming.
    Ideally I would like to transfer a recorded video from Video recorder HDD directly by cable to an external drive, or to PC but tho the video will communicate with cameras via the USB outlet as far as I can seen there is no other means osf data transfer.

I hardly dare ask such an trivial question in this intelligent company ( am I in the right place ??)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do the primitive editing facilities of your Sony include a 'split' function?
    My Philips DVD/HDD recorder has this facility and that's how I transfer recordings of more than 2 hrs onto the PC, splitting them up into 2 or more parts which will each fit on a standard DVD RW.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome amlevieux

Instructions for splitting titles are found on page 84 of the sony manual (8mbs) > here
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many Thanks BJS & Gavino
    Seems to work well, tho one has to be careful of the ordering of the spilt parts if more than 2.
    Shows one should read the manual more carefully !!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Next question!
    How can one make a DVD+RW (standard Verbatim stock) acceptible for more than one use in the SONY RDR HXD890
    I've tried erasing using various bits of software, Formatting the drive , both quick & thorough etc etc
    Whenevere the disc has been used it seems to become unacceptibkle to the machine despite all these measures.
    Is there a method or make or category more likely to work.
    Help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use any other device to delete / format the discs ... only use the device which created the original content ... doing so will make the disc's un-usable with the recorder.

If you have formatted the disc it's pretty well ruined ... don't do that as there is no need

It may be possible to unformat / unfinalise the disc using the original device which was used to do this process ... but it's not guaranteed to work

--------

Simply use the unit to burn the content to rw ... take to pc / mac / linux ... use what ever program you are happy to use to copy the content from the disc to the system ... when done eject disc and return to the original device ... the manual will specify how to delete content from disc ... normally when this is completed the disc is ready to accept more content ... again, never format or finalize RW media ... there is no need
    Quote Quote