VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking about purchasing the Canon HF200, but I'm concerned about downloading the files and maintaining the highest quality. I have a new laptop that runs windows 7 and heard the AVCHD issues are resolved. Is it true? How can I download the files to my laptop while on vacation, so I can edit once I return using Windows 7 without damaging the quality? this is my first camera and I just want to make sure I don't corrupt the quality of the files while I'm on vacation. Thank you so much for your help! I've surfed endlessly and can't find the information and I would like to buy it in time for my trip. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what issues you are referring too. Transferring your footage is simply a file transfer issue, and has no effect on quality. Quality will only be affected when you start editing, and will be dependent on the codec and codec settings you chose at the time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read on Amazon that with other Windows programs they weren't able to download or edit the files, so I became concerned. My main concern is keeping the original files safe, so when I return I make them viewable on TV..ideally in Blu-ray. I don't have money to buy many cards now, so while on vacation I want to download the files onto the laptop. Do you have reqs on the best way to convert my video once I return, so I may watch them on our television?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would take anything I read on Amazon with a very large grain of salt. Buy a portable HDD, copy the files from the cards to the portable drive (no quality change).

As for later - that really depends on what you have. if you don't have a BluRay burner then you are restricted to DVDs. AVCHD on DVD discs is possible, but the running times are shorter. Depends on how much footage. Also, not all players will play them back.

Are you editing ? If so, with what software ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Transferring files from the HF200 is simply a file copy. There is no loss of quality. No special software is required. The issues with AVCHD have to do with programs opening the files, playing them, and editing them. Many programs don't know how to handle AVCHD files, or don't handle them well. But that has nothing to do with preserving the quality of the files as they are copied from the camcorder to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for clarifying that. When I return I just want to be able to put it together, so we play it on our PS3 since I have not editing software experience. I will be reading, surfing and taking classes in the future and would like to do the "real" editing then with the footage of the trip. I’m a total newbie. 8 ). I'm also accepting software recommendations, so I may begin experimenting. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to say that we do not have a blu-ray burner, but I wouldn't mind upgrading soon. What can I do in the mean time for the best quality? TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVCHD on DVD. Multi-AVCHD is a simple way to author this type of disc, although you can also use TSMuxer with a suitable GUI to do it as well. Multi-AVCHD at least gives you some menu options. You can then burn the results to a DVD with Imgburn
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just be aware AVCHD is the most difficult format to edit. Are you sure your laptop will play AVCHD?

Editing beyond simple cuts will require an advanced desktop.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the requirements of my laptop? I have a P505-S8980, does it have the power, so I may do what gun suggested?

Thank you again for your replies and help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MISSJANE777
    What are the requirements of my laptop? I have a P505-S8980, does it have the power, so I may do what gun suggested?

Thank you again for your replies and help.
    Your Toshiba P505-S8980 general specs are

Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 / 2.2 GHz
    800 MHz FSB
    Intel 45GM Express display chipset.

I'm not sure if that display chipset has support for h.264. Maybe others know.
    You should download some AVCHD samples at various bit rates 8-24Mb/s and see if they play.

This guy has 3 MTS motion file samples. Download them, unzip and play.
    http://file.meyersproduction.com/hg10/

Try to find a full 24 Mb/s HF200 sample.

Here is a short 24Mb/s MXP sample
    http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/video/avw/docs/076/262/ez041.mts

If they all play without stutter, you would next test the editing program you plan to use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Even if the 45GM doesn't have hardware h.264 decoding a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz is fast enough decode h.264 in software. You'll need a multithreaded h.264 decoder like ffdshowMT or CoreAVC Pro. You may also need an AC3 decoder.

Editing will be possible but very sluggish. For example, when you seek to a new position in the video it may take several seconds for the display to be updated.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go with a Canon HV40 or HV30. AVCHD is still in its infancy, and not for novice users wishing to do editing, unless you like trouble.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have edited AVCHD in Pinnacle 12 several times with no problems whatsoever (is this PINNACLE we are talking about?? ) The only headscratcher I have is that Pinnacle will not detect them straight from the camcorder, I must save them from my Canon Vixia HG21 camcorder to my computer, then Pinnacle will import them. After that it is standard editing procedures.

As a side thought, I have a pretty fast homebuild unit: AMD quad overclocked to 3.6GHz, 4gig RAM, everything running at 1066FSB, dual SATA hard drives, dual SATA DVDs. Running XP Pro. I also have Windows7, but Pinnacle 12 will not install on W7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand
    I have edited AVCHD in Pinnacle 12 several times with no problems whatsoever (is this PINNACLE we are talking about?? ) The only headscratcher I have is that Pinnacle will not detect them straight from the camcorder, I must save them from my Canon Vixia HG21 camcorder to my computer, then Pinnacle will import them. After that it is standard editing procedures.

As a side thought, I have a pretty fast homebuild unit: AMD quad overclocked to 3.6GHz, 4gig RAM, everything running at 1066FSB, dual SATA hard drives, dual SATA DVDs. Running XP Pro. I also have Windows7, but Pinnacle 12 will not install on W7.
    Pinnacle Studio (highest) used to convert to MPeg2 on import. They may now evaluate hardware and allow a native AVCHD timeline. You will know you are in native mode if your quad core falls to its knees in pain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Even if the 45GM doesn't have hardware h.264 decoding a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz is fast enough decode h.264 in software. You'll need a multithreaded h.264 decoder like ffdshowMT or CoreAVC Pro. You may also need an AC3 decoder.

Editing will be possible but very sluggish. For example, when you seek to a new position in the video it may take several seconds for the display to be updated.
    Maybe but will a novice be willing to go these extra steps?

I tried the above files on two Intel Core2Duo 1.8 MHz mas(a Mac and a PC) with older display chipsets (Intel and ATI) and found both machines failed a continous play (VLC or windows media player) even for these short clips.

I'd agree " a multithreaded h.264 decoder like ffdshowMT or CoreAVC Pro. " would probably allow allow 1x playback but these may not help the edit program to preview.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by edDV
    Even if the 45GM doesn't have hardware h.264 decoding a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz is fast enough decode h.264 in software. You'll need a multithreaded h.264 decoder like ffdshowMT or CoreAVC Pro. You may also need an AC3 decoder.

I tried the above files on two Intel Core2Duo 1.8 MHz (a Mac and a PC) with older display chipsets (Intel and ATI) and found both machines failed a continous play (VLC or windows media player) even for these short clips.
    VLC uses its own internal h.264 decoder and it isn't multithreaded. No fixes for that. I've played 1080p24 and 1080i30 h.264 with a Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 GHz) without hardware decoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

I tried the above files on two Intel Core2Duo 1.8 MHz (a Mac and a PC) with older display chipsets (Intel and ATI) and found both machines failed a continous play (VLC or windows media player) even for these short clips.
    VLC uses its own internal h.264 decoder and it isn't multithreaded. No fixes for that. I've played 1080p24 and 1080i30 h.264 with a Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 GHz) without hardware decoding.
    I agree it can be done but for the OP, extras and extra care will be necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried all the links provided and they worked without a problem. I'm now searching for a full 24 Mb/s video to test on my laptop. Also, I'll look into the other camcorder suggested. Since I'm leaving and need to decided soon maybe I should just look into getting an SD camcorder for now. Any suggestions. Thank for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MISSJANE777
    I tried all the links provided and they worked without a problem. I'm now searching for a full 24 Mb/s video to test on my laptop. Also, I'll look into the other camcorder suggested. Since I'm leaving and need to decided soon maybe I should just look into getting an SD camcorder for now. Any suggestions. Thank for all your help.
    I also recommend the Canon HV20/30/40 HDV format (MiniDV tape) models as the most reliable and field proven solution. Editing is much less a hassle. If you have more questions, just ask.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the examples listed and they all play seamlessly in Windows Media Player and can edit them in both Vegas and Corel VideoStudio 12. I'm running both 32 and 64bit versions of Windows 7 Ultimate.

System Name NETMASK-PC
    System Manufacturer MSI
    System Model MS-7522
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V7.0, 20/01/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote