VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I would like to convert some mp3 files (they are old radio broadcasts of baseball games in the public domain) to an audio CD-Rs to listen in my car CD player. I have been able to do this with my son's i-tunes and think I can do this with Img-Burn. However, some of these mp3 files are TOO big to fit onto a single CD-R as the CD-R will only hold 80 minutes. If I can split the mp3 file into 2 or three parts I can do this.

What is the best freeware to split an mp3 file into parts without a loss in quality and how do I proceed?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Is there a guide that explains how to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity might also be useful and I think there are guides available on the internet on how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kschwi
    Thanks. Is there a guide that explains how to do this?
    Click the ? on its toolbar to see the manual.

See "Split into multiple files".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Shuangs Audio Editor
    Quote Quote  
  7. My favorite is Visual MP3 Splitter, it's fast and it maintains the ID3 tags.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maintaining the ID3 tags must have some importance but I am not sure what that means. What are ID3 tags?

Do the other programs do that as well?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maintaining the ID3 tags must have some importance but I am not sure what that means. What are ID3 tags?

Do the other programs do that as well?
    The info -- title, artist, genre -- that players show when you play an MP3.

Mp3DirectCut can preserve ID3s if you set this -- Edit/tag ID3.

I'd expect most MP3 editor can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,

My main objective is to split these so they can fit on a couple of CD-Rs in a format compatible with a CD player. In the audio format (if that is the correct term) it can only hold 80 minutes of a game. These mp3 files then are too big to convert to this format. I need to find a good stopping point in the game (probably at the end of an inning) before the 80 minute mark and then split them and convert them so they will be playable in an older car CD player. I'm guessing finding the right spot maybe the hardest part or maybe these programs allow you to listen to the mp3 to set where you want to split them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe these programs allow you to listen to the mp3 to set where you want to split them.
    Yes, they all do.

Just download MP3DirectCut and try it.
    It's free and quite small.
    My 12-year-old daughter has been using this for the last year to edit her music collection.

It's easy once you get the hang of it, but do read the included help for how to select, cut and paste and save.
    You can mark a selection, and then play up to its end, and from the end on, before committing to a cut.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Nero Wav Editor, in that prog u can make fade in and out as whell....

That what i use when i rip some radio, and it works fine...

You do have to convert the wav file to mp3 again after u have edited it.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Umm...

MP3DirectCut.

You don't have to buy Nero, if you don't already have it; it's free, and you don't have to convert or re-encode the MP3 to cut it. (No quality loss, in other words.)

Edit: If you're looking to add effects to an audio track, such as fade in/out, you can easily do that with Audacity, or any other sound editor (not just Nero's editor). Of course, since you're actually modifying the sound data itself, you WILL have to re-encode...
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Edit: If you're looking to add effects to an audio track, such as fade in/out, you can easily do that with Audacity, or any other sound editor (not just Nero's editor). Of course, since you're actually modifying the sound data itself, you WILL have to re-encode...
    Actually, MP3DirectCut can do that too. It changes the volume, globally or locally (as fades), losslessly without reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, okay. I was attempting to make a blanket statement for effects in general, though, not just fading.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been able to split the mp3 file with mp3direct cut. I've done 2 so far. I do have a couple more questions.

It might be the mp3 files I am working with(150-180 radio broadcasts)but it would be helpful if I could easily advance 20 minutes at time to find a break point. On the second row of buttons skipping a large step forward is only about 10-20 seconds. Go to next edit range takes me to the end of the file.

Is there a way to put two cuts on the same file? Right now I set a cut point and then click file save split. It then creates two files. I do make these into 3 files so it might be a little easier to make 2 breaks in the mp3 file.

When I am done it asks me to save my project, but not sure why this is needed as it already created a file when I said save split.

Finally, with these old baseball audio games there is some background noise sometimes a little static or maybe a hum or a tinny sound. Any easy way to filter that out using this program (or maybe another) any still maintain the announcer and crowd noise?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Finally, with these old baseball audio games there is some background noise sometimes a little static or maybe a hum or a tinny sound. Any easy way to filter that out using this program (or maybe another) any still maintain the announcer and crowd noise?
    MP3DirectCut can only cut, paste and change volume.
    If you want to do that, then you need a full-blown audio editor.

Audacity (latest 1.3.10) is free and pretty good.
    See http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Noise_Removal
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did find the answer to my first question. there is a slide bar that can move the file as far into the program as I'd like.

I am getting an error message when I click save split this morning...Error could not create or write to file. It does create a file for the first third but does not split the rest into a separate file.

I think this problem started after I changed the file name.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I still have 2 questions about mp3direct cut:

When I am done it asks me to save my project, but not sure why this is needed as it already created a file when I said save split.

Sometimes after I click File/Save Split I get a message stating:
    While saving 2 files 1re-sync occured. What does this mean? Do I need to do this over?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See the manual under "Project files".
    An mp3DirectCut project file (*.mpd) contains a complete edit state with every part and their volume, cut and cue informations. If you work with large files and make a lot of cuts you should frequently save your work to a project file.
    If you're happy with your saved MP3, don't worry about saving a project file.
    I never bother myself. Since I usually delete the original MP3 they refer to the project file would be useless.
    But if you're doing a series of cuts and saves, it would let you easily stop and continue editing later.

As for resync, see http://public.globalnet.hr/~jsinkovi/stranice/FAQ.htm
    I got 'Re-syncs' on saving, what do they mean?
    The program could not find a frame header where it was expeceted and had to search for the file position of this header. This can happen in corrupted files, at cut or paste positions, at a file end or in some cases within VBR files. Often a Re-Sync does not mean that anything went wrong. But sometimes some frames in the output file may be skipped. As not all possible error and corruption constellations are examined it cannot be excluded that the program can hang or crash in some sync fail situations.
    So just play the saved files and check if they're okay. I think it should be obvious if they're not.
    Quote Quote