VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK,

I am ripping sections of video from DVD's. I am using DVD Shrink 3.2. I ripped about 8 different sections of video all from the same DVD, 6 of them are 704 x 480, 2 are 352 x 480

Why are two of them different?

I cant put them all under the same track as seperate chapters in TMPEG DVD Author due to the resolution differences

Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was the DVD created on a video camera or settop DVD recorder ?

The smaller resolution is called Half-D1, and is often used by these devices when trying to fit a lot of video onto a disc. It allows a lower bitrate to be used.

You cannot mix resolutions in a single DVD titleset, so your choices are to either

1. Resize the Half-D1 video to full D1 (704 x 480 to match your other material) and re-encode

2. Create two titlesets

3. Use DVD Patcher to change the header information in the Half-D1 material to make it look like full D1. This may fool your editor or authoring tool, but it may not foll all players. This is the 'suck it and see' option, as it may not work as expected in all cases.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is some of the video one resolution and others different?

Its the same DVD all the pieces are coming from and the video is one complete show
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know, didn't author it. If you are ripping with DVD Shrink then you are getting what is on the disc. Some DVD recorders will vary recording settings on the fly if too much video is forced onto a disc without it being planned for.

You haven't provided any details about the disc - how it was created etc. or exactly how you are ripping it. However, as I said, DVD Shrink doesn't change anything when it rips, so what you see is what was there, if that is all you did.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got these discs from someone so I dont know how it was created. I am ripping it just using DVD Shrink's reauthor function and then cutting out the video I want, choosing back-up and then saving it.

I dont know a ton about how DVD's are encoded, all I know is that I pulled video chunks out about 10 min apart in the video and they are different resolutions.

I guess like you said they were recorded varying, if that is what you meant

Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Smack2k
    I guess like you said they were recorded varying, if that is what you meant
    Pretty much, yes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best way for me to take the videos that have the different resolution and convert them (from 352 x 480 to 702 x 480)?

So how do i - Resize the Half-D1 video to full D1 (704 x 480 to match your other material) and re-encode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Demux can do it. Add a resize filter, then use the mpeg 2 PS output format to create an mpeg-2 file
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the assistance on this. I actually have TMPEG XPress and will use that to convert all my video to one standard and then readd to TDA.

I really appreciate the assistance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Multi VTS is the key here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote