VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've used the free DVDFab HD Decrypter for a long time, no problem til version 5 which had a "bug" that said your trial period has expired. That was fixed in version 6, until 6.125. Now I can't access the free DVDFab HD Decrypter anymore. That option is no longer offered on the startup screen, only the DVDFab option, which it says is expired. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both 6.125 and the latest 6.202beta, same thing - it works once to rip a movie with DVD Fab, then refuses to do anything more, saying it has expired.

So what's going on? How do I access/activate the free DVDFab HD Decrypter again (if that's possible)? Is there some kind of corruption in my XP Home registry blocking it? Or is it something built into their software, a bug or intentional deactivation of the free DVDFab HD Decrypter option?

Quote Quote  
  2. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I uninstalled DVDFab with Revo Uninstaller which supposedly removed all references to it, but it didn't. There were still many remaining references in my XP Home registry to both the DVDFab 5 and 6 versions. So I methodically went through my registry and deleted all references to DVDFab. Then I reinstalled the latest 6.202beta version...

However there is still no access to DVDFab HD Decrypter offered, or available, insofar as I can determine. There used to be a bar to click to use the DVDFab HD Decrypter option, but not any more. I guess they changed their software(?). The only option available now seems to be to try DVDFab for 30 days, like it or not.

So I'm trying it, and have ripped 2 movies in a row. So the former limit of 1 movie rip (then immediate expiration) has been "fixed". I suppose it may work for the 30 day trial period now, I guess time will tell. But that's not really what I want - I want the free version back! How?
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Just talking to myself, I guess. Anybody else know anything? I've just spent some time at the DVDFab website, which is exceedingly slow.

Offhand it looks like they've killed the free DVDFab HD Decrypter option, because I can't find it mentioned there anymore. Everything is now 30 day trialware, after which you must pay them some money or get cut off - the software won't work anymore. How will they know you're a former trial user unless they put some kind of secret data on your computer that isn't removed with an uninstall? Also it looks like they've greatly increased their prices and shortened their license terms, etc.

So it looks like there is no longer any free way to rip current movies with the latest protections. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    Quote Quote  
  4. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
    Yes, I have that link, but it's no help. It downloads exactly the same software as DVDFab. The .exe name is different, but it's the same.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Choose it - HOW? There's no way to choose it! If there is, please explain.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can not figure out what is wrong with everyone

I just DLed 6125 & 6202Beta, installed & uninstalled them in order of version #, tested them, and they both work fine

The free ripping function is there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    ...The free ripping function is there.
    Where, exactly, is free DVDFab HD Decrypter? I can't find it. I would appreciate your stepwise explanation how to access it, 1-2-3. Thanks! All I can access is DVDFab trialware, but my trial is already expired, so it is crippled-ware and I can't access/choose DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Also what happens when you try to rip a protected movie like "The Ugly Truth", for example? That converts it into crippled-ware immediately, and then it must be uninstalled/reinstalled to rip anything again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It works fine here even after it has expired(the free functions then).

Try contact dvdfab if you can't get it start in free mode, try http://forum.dvdfab.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just downloaded 6125...ripped Genesis - When In Rome. All is well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Ripped it with what?
    the trialware, paidware, or free(crippled)ware?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just installed on my laptop and the free version works fine...just clicked the "start dvdfab" button at the bottom
    Quote Quote  
  14. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Four Fifth
    just installed on my laptop and the free version works fine...just clicked the "start dvdfab" button at the bottom
    Installed HOW?
    as trialware, paidware, or free(crippled)ware?
    Also HOW(?) does it work fine? What did you rip? More than once?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Ripped it with what?
    Quote Quote  
  16. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Ripped it with what?
    How did you choose that one?
    Quote Quote  
  17. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks. That's simple enough. Click the HD Decrypter line to highlight it, then click the Start DVDFab button. Unfortunately they don't explain how to do that, and it's not obvious to me. Their instructions and nomenclature are all out of date. Also there is no indication that DVDFab HD Decrypter is actually running; you just have to take it on faith, I guess. Poor, sloppy software design. They'll never get a penny out of me. I'm trying AnyDVD now, which seems more professionally designed and to my liking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I bought AnyDVD quite a while ago....when it was at least half of the price it is now. But I still use the free version of DVDFab every now and then.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Roadrunner

I also use DVDFab and if you allow the program to update by its self you loss your registered copy or free copy.
    I ran across the following so you would not be updated and not lose your free copy. Here where the notes:

start DVDfab program and close welcome screen
    and click on the green check mark at the top
    and on the top left of the settings window click on general
    and in the middle bottom area UNcheck check for new version automaticly click ok
    And never update as u will lose your registration

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dozer57 View Post
    Roadrunner

I also use DVDFab and if you allow the program to update by its self you loss your registered copy or free copy.
    I ran across the following so you would not be updated and not lose your free copy. Here where the notes:

start DVDfab program and close welcome screen
    and click on the green check mark at the top
    and on the top left of the settings window click on general
    and in the middle bottom area UNcheck check for new version automaticly click ok
    And never update as u will lose your registration

Gee thanks Mr. Helpful. Did you bother to check the date on the original post by Roadrunner?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Try http://dvdfab.cn/

You'll see that they are very much online.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why dont you try to download from BitTorrent sites ?? they give you full versions .. if you like it then you can buy it afterwards!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Placebo, Advocating Warez can get you banned on our site. Please read our rules concerning Warez before posting:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-(AUP)?

Thank you,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  24. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Mum's the word, Mumbai! This is an old out of date thread...
    Of more interest to me *now* is why the 9 versions of DVDFab won't work on Windows XP anymore?
    Quote Quote