VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello,

my boyfriend recently died, and he'd made a few videos with an unknown recorder.
    he didn't get to finalise them, and i'm wondering if there's a way i can do it?
    they are sony handycam discs, i'm not exactly sure what model of camcorder he used.

it would be nice o have them and be able to watch them.
    any suggestion will help. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used the free version of Isobuster to extract contents from an unfinalized DVD in the past without any problems. Here is a quick "how-to".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks very much, i'll check both of these suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a question =p
    i'm trying to install the free version of ISO buster
    this is probably the most ridiculous question but it's asking me which files i want to associated with ISObuster -- should i associate all of them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    last question for tonight -- once i get the files off with ISObuster, how do i then make a new DVD that i can play on my computer or a DVD player?

thanks for your time
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Iso buster dose not necessarily require being associated with file types, the only problem may come from if another program installed previously has that file type associated with it, it will no longer be the default application which will open when you access that particular file type ... not a major issue

There is no risk to the media ... unless you somehow scratch them

Sony vegas trial and an optical drive (dvdram capabilities required in some cases) should be able to recover the data from a non-finalized disc via the import function.

For vro conversion grab MPEG Streamclip

Also Dvddisaster which is free
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As Bjs said, no need to associate any files. If Isobuster successfully extracts the contents of your DVDs, you can then go ahead and re-author them onto a new DVD using any number of DVD authoring apps. To be honest I can't remember what format Isobuster produced for me when I used it last (vobs? mpg? elementary streams?). DVDAuthorGUI is a good simple app which I think accepts all the above formats.

I was going to suggest TMPGEnc DVD Author, which you can use fully-functional for a trial period, but I can't remember if I used this once for a DVD-VR disk or an unfinalized disk? Maybe someone else can chime in whether TDA can extract from unfinalized DVDs?
    Quote Quote