VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got Pinnacle Studio 14 and I've used mts2xvid to convert my .mts files from my camcorder into .avi files. However when I import in Studio it does not work and says error opening video file.

I've downloaded XviD from the maker's site, I've downloaded Avisynth. Does anyone know what I might be able to do or if there is somewhere I need to place a codec or .dll or something to make this thing work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't convert to xvid as you will lose a lot of the video quality.

Try instead xvid4psp, format factory, prism video converter and convert to avi with a lossless codec like huffuv, lagarith or mjpeg. Or buy VoltaicHD. Or upgrade to Pinnacle Studio HD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the HD edition of Studio 14, its the Ultimate Collection. I think I'll convert as you suggested however I have a fix for everyone else who might ever have this problem.

Turns out my videos were as the Manufacturer called them, "Type 1 Avi Files".

I downloaded DVdate and it has an option to recompress in type 2, which is what studio 14 reads, after that it worked flawlessly.

Studio 12 and below worked with both type 1 and type 2, however that backwards compatibility apparently was taken out with Studio 14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. hey jhughes2466!!!! let me tell you man... i've registered into this website just to tell you THANK YOU MAN!!!! you have no idea how bad i wanted to solve this avi problem... and you just fuckin did it!!! thank again man! i'm from Nicaragua by the way, here we are just a few, not too much help... take care!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. @jhughes2466 Thanks for logging back on and telling us the solution you figured out. It seems that Pinnacle, in an effort to keep their software from becoming even more bloated, takes out capabilities for everyone they add. I've always thought there were other programs, like DVdate, that did conversions better than Pinnacle as it tries to convert things for editing.
    Hope you visit our site. ~john
    Pinnacle Studio Video Editing.com
    Quote Quote