VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you mainly rent movies?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Local store. I would like to switch to a streaming service but they don't have any HD releases.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I voted "local store' but that's not really accurate. I rent from a vending machine, RedBox. They have locations at all the larger grocery stores in the area. DVD rental stores have virtually disappeared here.

The county library system has DVDs available, but selection at individual branches is poor and there is a long wait when anyone reserves a movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm probably a 50/50 netflix/library renter. I have an 8.95 a month subscription to netflix that I enjoy but I also get movies from my local library at least twice a week. The library doesn't get the latest movies but the do have a decent selection of movies around 6 months or older. I use the library mainly for my kids. They have a great selection of kids dvd's. I tell my kids they can get up to three movies a piece but they also have to get one book for every movie they pick. It's a good compromise.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't rent many movies so I picked local store. However now that I finally got fast cable internet earlier this year I can rent and buy online. I can use the playstation network on my ps3 (I only have a 20gb harddrive on my 360 and they are mostly netflix now so I don't want another subscription - and my 40gb ps3 has plenty of room while my 360 only has 8gb or so left - barely enough for one hd movie).

I also like amazon.

But I will still rent from blockbuster. That way you get the full movie experience.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    netflix all the way.
    the closest library has crap, and the county with lots of selection is now too far away since I moved.
    of the 3 incredibly filthy Blockbusters in my area, 1 recently closed and split its inventory out to the other 2, but they still both suck.
    definitely netflix.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RedBox and local mom-and-pop rental store.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I travel by subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan to rent at the only video store in New York thats still worth a sh*t. Its been owned by the same woman for 26 years, although oddly enough I've never met her: she has a great staff thats 50% movie buffs older than me (48 ) and 50% NYU students- a nice mix. The store has everything under the sun, dating abck 26 years, but not all on display- the older obscure VHS they look up on a computer and fetch from the basement catacombs. Sadly the NetFlix/download juggernaut has taken its toll: the place used to occupy two adjoining storefronts but recently had to conslolidate into one after a typically stratospheric rent increase. The landlord rented the adjoining store to one of those idiotic "Asian chick selling hats only Sarah Jessica Parker would wear" tedious shops we have a surfeit of in NYC. In two years I have not once seen a customer in there, we've got more asinine specialty clothing shops in Manhattan than stores that serve a useful need. How the hell these clowns make an $8000-$15 monthly rent nut is beyond imagining. Anyway having to cut down to half their original size really killed the spirit of this video store: nothings the same. You can still get any title you can think of, and the staff is great, but the mojo is gone. If they go under completely, I'm screwed- aside from a handful of Blockbusters that are all half-derelict now, even New York City is devoid of good video stores.

Can't even find a decent grocery store anymore in Brooklyn or Manhattan, 'cause the dominance of "Fresh Direct" (the NetFlix of food). Thank you, freakin NetFlix, and the stupendously lazy young migrant Wall St douchebags who've ruined what used to be an interesting city! God forbid they should actually get off their asses and not have something delivered, their time is so terribly important they can't waste it patronizing a (shudder) store! At least I have the satisfaction of watching them all get evicted from their overpriced apts: unemployments a bitch, ain't it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix for me. I'm a TV series junkie (Sci-fi and British mostly) so, have no local stores with any availability for these. For movies, I either buy or use Netflix as well. The nearest town is 8 miles away so mail is the most convenient way for me. I have a satellite modem for my computer but it's still too slow for streaming.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. NetFlix, DVDs and streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I use Netflix so I guess it's streaming and mail.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The local library has a good selection - some almost current, some quite obscure, so it's my first choice. In addition to fiction, it has a large collection of non-fiction, and there's even more on VHS in good condition. The library also has things called books which I find quite enjoyable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming. The local library for some DVDs. They also have a great selection of VHS tapes for older movies. The problem with the library is all the DVDs and VHS tapes are arranged alphabetically, including the titles that start with 'The'. Makes it really hard to browse by genre.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix by mail/streaming, and the Cable Company's VOD service. They offer a decent selection of free movies, plus we get Starz On Demand for free.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The library for me. They have a nice selection and if isn't on the shelf you can request it.
    The price is right too.... free for a week and then a 15¢ a day late fee.
    Of course full season disc sets are for three weeks.

Right now free is about all I can afford
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by craigarta
    The price is right too.... free for a week and then a 15¢ a day late fee.
    Wow. My library only lets us keep them for 3 days with $1.00 a day late fee. But they will let you call and renew if you can't return them in time.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix for Blu-ray & reg. DVD's and streaming for me...Thank god Netflix has a warehouse on Oahu.
    Quote Quote  
  17. When I rent, it's from a local store, but I haven't rented a movie in 2 or 3 years, (since the closest video store folded).
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted local store.

streaming/netflix has driven man into a lazy couch "remote control" potatoe..push a button and order..thats not for me!

I'm stubbern in my old fashion ways..I go to my local rental (I support them) and rent. I used to have this as my friday routine but when they moved the store to another location (down the street and away from my grocery store, hence the TGIF routine) it broke the routine, and couple my busy schedule these days, I mainly go when something jars my memory that I want to see and make it an event for a friday or saturday visit. I like walking in and browsing at the covers and things, and experiencing the visit like I used to do in my friday routines.

-vhelp 5247
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to a big chain local store and tried to rent a movie about 5 years ago. They couldn't find me in their database. No surprise since I had never rented a movie before. They told me EVERYONE had already been added to their database and they had no way to add new people. If I wasn't in it, that meant I had been a problem, like not returning movies and they weren't allowed to rent to me. So that was my one and only attempt at renting movies. Fortunately I was able to survive without rented movies. So I just think of the money I have saved and smile.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Legendsk
    I went to a big chain local store and tried to rent a movie about 5 years ago. They couldn't find me in their database. No surprise since I had never rented a movie before. They told me EVERYONE had already been added to their database and they had no way to add new people. If I wasn't in it, that meant I had been a problem, like not returning movies and they weren't allowed to rent to me. So that was my one and only attempt at renting movies. Fortunately I was able to survive without rented movies. So I just think of the money I have saved and smile.
    So if new people moved into the neighbourhood from europe and asia and other states they were out of luck joining that local chain store?Not very good business practice.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No need to rent ... Im the local rental stores IT service person

For anything else they don't carry it's purchased from online sources
    Quote Quote  
  22. 50/50 Blockbuster online/Blockbuster local store

I do 3 at a time, I rent older movies online, and trade those in at the local Blockbuster for new releases. I very rarely rent movies outside my subscription...

I didn't vote because there is no 50/50 choice
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote