VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm here to ask a question abt my problem.

In short, I extracted only 1 part of all rar files of a video, just to check the quality.
    But my MPC (I installed K-lite codec pack full v5.30) always ended up stopped working the moment I tried to open it.
    It's strange because I used to be able to view that kind of incomplete video (older version,forgot what version) . Maybe the new version really cannot do it??

Anyone also got the same experience..care to share if you know one or two solutions?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah thanks, VLC works.
    Any idea with mpc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a codec issue, or the part of the video you're trying to view doesn't have the video's header (or complete file information).

Also, you might want to give MPCHC a try.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the pack I have installed is including that home cinema also, the same crash happened.
    And it is not only a certain video.
    I have tried many and none of them working.
    And afterall it works in vlc.. so i guess nothing wrong in the video.
    And hw abt you?? You using the same k-lite codec pack also?
    I hv tried re-installed svrl times also.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I generally don't recommend codec packs (with the possible exception of ffdshow, depending on whether or not you want to classify it as a codec pack).

MPCHC, like VLC, tends to default to its own internal filters, not those installed on the system, so if VLC works, MPCHC should work as well, in theory. However, MPC/HC also depends on Video for Windows/DirectShow codecs, so if something's broken, there...

I believe K-Lite also includes a 'tweak tool' that attempts to look at your installed codecs and see if anything's wrong with them (standalone version can be found here). I have no idea how well or if it works, but since you already have K-Lite installed, it might be worth a try. But only let it scan/troubleshoot - don't disable/enable codecs and filters unless you know what you're doing.

What error(s) do you get when MPC and/or MPCHC attempt to play the videos?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you unpacked only a small part of the total archive - i.e. an incomplete part of a video - and wonder why you can play it properly ?

VLC works because it is built to play partially downloaded or damaged files, but most other players expect you to have the entire video, not just a chunk. You could have been missing anything - the index (and certainly part thereof) and other meta data required for playback.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think darkw1zard is saying this happens with all videos, not just the partially-extracted one... but I'd want him to confirm that.
    Quote Quote