VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just hooked up my PS3 to my laptop with an ethernet cable for transferring video files as trying to copy a 9gb mkv-muxed-to-mpeg over wifi without it dropping out was hopeless so I have configured a wired connection. It is working brilliantly and copies files over so much quicker and does not drop out but it does not connect to the internet. Is there any way I could set up two connections for the PS3: one wireless for online and one wired for media streaming? I assume you probably can't. I have tried going to network and sharing centre and enabling internet sharing for the connection but all that does is stops my laptop connecting to the internet and the PS3 won't connect to it either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

P.S. I am running windows 7, I have a cat5e crossover cable. I can provide any other information needed for someone to help me sort out this problem. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a router/switch and some cables.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a router but it's downstairs next to my internet connection and my other PC. It would definitely not be possible to feed cables through my whole house and I was trying to do this on the cheap (£2.99 delivered for a crossover ethernet cable)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jack1993
    I have a router but it's downstairs next to my internet connection and my other PC. It would definitely not be possible to feed cables through my whole house and I was trying to do this on the cheap (£2.99 delivered for a crossover ethernet cable)
    A friend of mine uses one of those powerline networking kits that plugs into a power outlet. His cable modem/router is upstairs and he uses the powerline kit to connect downstairs. It works for him in his house and he is pleased with it. I haven't tried anything like that myself though. Still not cheap though...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there's going to be a cheap way out. If it's just for transferring files from your laptop you should just leave the network cable sitting out. You can bridge your wireless and wired connections and set up internet sharing so that when you are plugged up to your PS3 that you can pass your connection to it, but when the laptop isn't connected then neither is the PS3. As you've found out internet connection sharing can be a PITA to set up. A better option is to either to the powerline network bridge or get another wireless router that support bridging and set it up next to your PS3. Or get a PS3 with wireless.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PS3 does have wireless. I just can't connect to it when I'm using a wired connection to transfer files. Thanks anyway though
    Quote Quote