VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering if such a player exist on the market.
    A simple dvd player with an usb host port like i have but instead of supporting fat/fat32 it would read nfts partitions or maybe all of them.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. not likely. fat16 is royalty free. fat32 and ntfs are covered by microsoft patents and require payment to m.s. to use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a couple of BluRay players that support NTFS, but I don't know of any DVD players
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some media players like the Western Digital models support NTFS, but again, we've not heard of DVD players that do. Given the limited playback support of DVD players (ie. MP3, WMA and Divx - no MKV, no H.264, etc.) NTFS support isn't really necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Closest thing to what your asking for is the new 200 series Popcorn hour machine. It's not a dvd player but you can connect a dvd or bluray drive to it. It will play just about anything correctly. With the WD device, no player but it will play NTFs from a hard disk. It will also play just about anything but without any menus.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98
    Some media players like the Western Digital models support NTFS, but again, we've not heard of DVD players that do. Given the limited playback support of DVD players (ie. MP3, WMA and Divx - no MKV, no H.264, etc.) NTFS support isn't really necessary.
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm just looking into WD HD media player. I have a 250 GB USB external with NTFS that I could use. I'm mainly interested in playing .mkv or other HD resolution videos on my HDTV. The max res on my TV is 1080i. It has an HDMI input. Currently I'm using a Philips 5990 upscaling player to watch avi and dvds.

I visited the WD site for the product and watched the promo video but I'm looking for info from users. For instance if it will play .mkv is it picky about the source aspect ratio? Will it play .avi source that's greater than 720x576 etc..

Sorry to OP for butting in.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't seem to be picky at all. I've played .ts .m2ts .mkv and BDMV. For the BDMV it searches thru the folders until it finds the .ts file and plays that.
    Havn't done any AVIs so don't know. Just saw an active thread on this site listing modded firmware that will allow the WDTV to play disks thru a Usb DVD drive much like the popcorn 200 player. Downloaded it but haven't installed it yet.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  8. That sounds very encouraging. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead

Not to hijack the thread but I'm just looking into WD HD media player. I have a 250 GB USB external with NTFS that I could use. I'm mainly interested in playing .mkv or other HD resolution videos on my HDTV. The max res on my TV is 1080i. It has an HDMI input. Currently I'm using a Philips 5990 upscaling player to watch avi and dvds.

I visited the WD site for the product and watched the promo video but I'm looking for info from users. For instance if it will play .mkv is it picky about the source aspect ratio? Will it play .avi source that's greater than 720x576 etc..

Sorry to OP for butting in.
    You really should have just started a new thread or gone to the Media Centers section of the forums to ask this stuff.

Anyway, yes, the WD plays AVI files greater than 720x576. 720p AVIs, for example, work fine. No, it doesn't care about MKV source aspect ratio. For example it will play MKV files at 1029x620 (should you have one in that size - this is only an example). Some BluRay players will only play videos at either 1920x1080, 1280x720 or 720x480/576 but the WD player has no such constraints. One warning - none of the WD models support any HD audio codecs. There's no support for HD-DTS or Dolby Lossless. It supports DTS and AC3 fine, but not the high def audio formats above those.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, I found a thread pertaining to WD later. Seems like it's always the way it goes. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote