VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Delta2 View Post
    The only reason I added that option of "keep temporary files" was for debugging mainly using aften method, was bad design not to keep them for multiple files. Eac3to method is almost direct conversion

as for DTS 2.0, was a hell of a surprise, I don't have any sample of that type, why the hell someone makes a DTS with just only 2 channels, or for example a 2.0 FLAC ?????

I can make that changes, but off the record, and I need 2.0 DTS samples also

When you say you need 2.0 DTS sample do you mean sample of a 2 chammel DTS audio file ? If you do I can provide you with a number of them. In fact just yesterday I converted two such files to AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a MKV sample with DTS 2.0
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Delta2

Have sent you a PM with links to 2 MKV DTS 2.0.
    It would be great if you could make the changes off the record
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested your samples and only AFTEN method fails, EAC3TO works fine

You should be able to work with both methods

Anyway here is the correction for AFTEN method using DTS 2.0, I tested your samples and it works fine in both methods

http://www.mediafire.com/?ipsy9u8ty4tapbx

it is only the executable file, you should update MKV2AC3.EXE file

the temporaries files needs more time, it is a structural problem and more critical
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Delta2

Thanks for the quick fix
    Also tried it on the samples I sent works OK
    Looking forward to the temporaries fix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Delta2 ..

Thanks for the updates. Although 2 channel DTS are rare ( mainly with old movies with stereo sound) thiis fix sgould come in very handy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. MKV2AC3 is a total gem for me and my LG TV! Brilliant work developer!!!

However, recently I've had problems. No changes whatsoever have been made to my system but I'm now seeing the following error message with some files that I've not seen before:

ERROR! Check if you have a 64Bit MKV2AC3 version C:\A\Desktop\ExampleFile.mkv

Conversion from string "7 / 6" to type 'Integer' is not valid.

The program was working perfectly before. I redownloaded the 64Bit version but still the same error message with certain files.

The one difference I seem to notice between files that work and those that don't, is what when I look at the details with MediaInfo, under the audio section, files with a Format Profile ES are the ones causing the problem.

I'm using Windows7 64Bit by the way.

Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Monkeypoo; 26th Dec 2011 at 06:10. Reason: Added more details
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of MKV2AC3 do you have and what method of conversion you're using ( aften or eac3to ) ?

can you supply a sample of those problematic files ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Delta2 View Post
    Which version of MKV2AC3 do you have and what method of conversion you're using ( aften or eac3to ) ?

can you supply a sample of those problematic files ?
    Thanks for the quick reply!!

The 'SampleFile.MKV' was just text that I typed. The few files I've tried are over 7GB in file so not sure how I can post a sample. I've copied the MediaInfo file though if that's any help.

General
    Unique ID : 232284525988626075502263105512649513308 (0xAEC05F570B2564BBB5980174A4E3D95C)
    Complete name : C:\Users\A\Desktop\Yardim_Edebilir_Miyim.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 1
    File size : 7.95 GiB
    Duration : 1h 49mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 10.4 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2008-08-21 10:13:55
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.2.0 ('Turn It On Again') built on Mar 4 2008 12:58:26
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 8 869 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 38.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.241
    Stream size : 6.64 GiB (83%)
    Writing library : x264 core 60 r928M 4816918
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.000000 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=8869 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=38000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:1.00
    Language : Turkish

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Format profile : ES
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 7 channels / 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: C, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.16 GiB (15%)
    Language : English

Text #1
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

Text #2
    ID : 4
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

The version I'm using appears to be 1.03.03 and using aften. I tried eac3to, dual core etc but the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can create a sample using MKVToolnix in Global tab, Enable Splitting...

also, if you can post images of the error messages it can be very helpful
    Last edited by Delta2; 26th Dec 2011 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Delta2 View Post
    You can create a sample using MKVToolnix in Global tab, Enable Splitting...

also, if you can post images of the error messages it can be very helpful
    Thanks. I created a quick sample - http://www.mediafire.com/?1g1lhyckcy5maqb

Here's the error message.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24208692ad.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	10256
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked for me, but I have only a 32bits system

Anyway from the image I figured out what was causing that problem

I changed that part of the code that should solve your problem

download the EXE ( executable file ) from here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?dl896mryt616vcx

You only need to change your executable file ( MKV2AC3.EXE ) with this one
    Last edited by Delta2; 27th Dec 2011 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks so much! Works a charm now!

Any idea what might have caused the problem? Like I said, it was working perfectly before then one day I started to receive that error message.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MKV2AC3 reads the file info from MediaInfo library, mine was retrieving channels info as 6, yours was retrieving 6 / 7 and inside the code I was converting that to number of course converting "6/7" String to Integer crashed

Unless you changed the MediaInfo library the problem was always there, the change I made can be used in both versions of MKV2AC3, i.e., 32bits or 64 bits
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you Delta2 for your continuing effort in making your program the best of its kind! I am happily using the last version, which imo performs flawlessly. Congratulations!

I have a couple suggestions to submit to you (none of them of a urgent kind, anyway):

- An option not to convert to AC3 a secondary audio stream (eg an AAC stereo), muxing it 'as it is' in the final MKV.
    - An option to convert multitrack audio streams to stereo AAC (maybe with Dolby ProLogic encoding) instead of AC3.
    - An option to always select all subs automatically.

Thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Delta2,
    Thank you for your effort. However, I'm having some problems with this program. It works perfectly well in the first time but it cannot convert this video:

General
    Unique ID : 175237708752547147254985845812592835290 (0x83D58E18E2E102298BE00F1D84FEFADA)
    Complete name : E:\Movies\Captain.America.The.First.Avenger.720p.B luray.x264-MHD.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 5.46 GiB
    Duration : 2h 4mn
    Overall bit rate : 6 294 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-14 11:11:07
    Writing application : mkvmerge v4.8.0 ('I Got The...') built on May 24 2011 03:12:58
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 4 787 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.287
    Stream size : 4.04 GiB (74%)
    Writing library : x264 core 118 r2085 8a62835
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4787 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.31 GiB (24%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Delta2,
    Whenever I convert the audio file to AC3 using eac3to, I get the file encoded with 448 Kbps bitrate though I tried with different bitrates. What could be the reason, don't know. I use eac3to 3.24.0.0 version. However, I get the desired bitrate when I do it with aften encoder. Click image for larger version

Name:	MKV2AC3 Audio Options.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	11084
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Don't know why but with eac3to I limited users choice to the range >= 320 and <= 640

if it is out of that range then it ignores it and uses 448

I think that that was my intention to maintain a certain minimum quality for the audio, checking your attached files you are converting to AC3 with 192 kbps, and that's a very low bitrate

Between 320 and 640 you are free to choice in eac3to
    Last edited by Delta2; 23rd Feb 2012 at 17:11.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I think that that was my intention to maintain a certain minimum quality for the audio, checking your attached files you are converting to AC3 with 192 kbps, and that's a very low bitrate

The audio to be converted was 2 Ch AAC. So, I thought 192 Kbps bitrate was enough for 2 ch. Anyway, when I chose 320 it was converted to the same chosen bit rate. Thanks to know more information.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pvhung92 View Post

Hi Delta2,
    Thank you for your effort. However, I'm having some problems with this program. It works perfectly well in the first time but it cannot convert this video:

any error message ? what method do you use ? I need some more information

put a sample in mediafire
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shans View Post
    Hi,

The audio to be converted was 2 Ch AAC. So, I thought 192 Kbps bitrate was enough for 2 ch. Anyway, when I chose 320 it was converted to the same chosen bit rate. Thanks to know more information.

yeah, it's time to make a new version with all the bug fixes posted in here, and with some suggestions implemented

I will remove that limitation with eac3to

currently I don't have even a site dedicated only to mkv2ac3 : I mean with faq's, tutorials and downloads

but I'm working on it, when it is done then I will inform where to check for new versions
    Quote Quote  
  22. I have a problem with MKV2AC3 version 1.03.03. The audio in my movies stops playing during the last quarter of the film.....The source file works perfectly. anyone can suggest something?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try popcorn mkv audio converter and see if works any better.
    Quote Quote  
  24. yeah, it's time to make a new version with all the bug fixes posted in here, and with some suggestions implemented

I will remove that limitation with eac3to

currently I don't have even a site dedicated only to mkv2ac3 : I mean with faq's, tutorials and downloads

but I'm working on it, when it is done then I will inform where to check for new versions
    If you going to make a new version, would you please consider adding an option to extract just the converted audio file. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aquarious View Post
    I have a problem with MKV2AC3 version 1.03.03. The audio in my movies stops playing during the last quarter of the film.....The source file works perfectly. anyone can suggest something?

I suppose you used Aften method which is codecs dependant, use eac3to method instead or configure your codecs properly

popcorn mkv audio converter uses only eac3to for that job, but MKV2AC3 can use it too
    Quote Quote  
  26. Great tool! Let me ask you a couple of questions:
    Let's say I have a source with a LOT of subtitles embedded in ASS format. If I just don't click on ANY of those subtitles, does that mean I wish to keep ALL of them? Cause that's how I've been doing it and so far I've kept all the subs intact...
    My other question would be: I usually check "Keep Original Streams"cause ina future (hopefully, not so far away) I would like to get a DTS/7.1 compatible amp, but in the meantime I'm quite happy with my old 5.1 DD receiver. So far having both audios seem to work fine. Is there a reason why you recommend against it?
    And my last question: Why is it that after converting the audio track my VIDEO stream increases in size? I mean, for example, before conversion my video stream was lets say 3 GB and my DTS audio 1 GB. After conversion the video stream is lets say 3.5 GB? I was under the impression that this tool didn't mess with the video at all... Is it doing some re encoding of some kind on my video? (Cause that would be a big NO-NO)
    Thanks for your time and thanks for this little tool (popcorn converter didn't work for me I dunno why...)

PD: "BONUS" Question : ). Is EAC3TO better than aften? I prefer aften cause it gives me the option to select the level of normalization... But I see you recommend using eac3... Is there a reason for it? Compatibility perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sideskroll View Post
    Great tool! Let me ask you a couple of questions:
    Let's say I have a source with a LOT of subtitles embedded in ASS format.
    If I just don't click on ANY of those subtitles, does that mean I wish to keep ALL of them? Cause that's how I've been doing it and so far I've kept all the subs intact...
    If you don't select any, then no subtitles is transfered

as I see you're selecting "keep original streams" option, which causes that all streams are transfered, including subtitles

My other question would be: I usually check "Keep Original Streams"cause ina future (hopefully, not so far away) I would like to get a DTS/7.1 compatible amp, but in the meantime I'm quite happy with my old 5.1 DD receiver. So far having both audios seem to work fine. Is there a reason why you recommend against it?
    No, you can use it, the purpose of that option is precisely for people that wants to keep DTS for the future, like you

And my last question: Why is it that after converting the audio track my VIDEO stream increases in size? I mean, for example, before conversion my video stream was lets say 3 GB and my DTS audio 1 GB. After conversion the video stream is lets say 3.5 GB? I was under the impression that this tool didn't mess with the video at all... Is it doing some re encoding of some kind on my video? (Cause that would be a big NO-NO)
    Thanks for your time and thanks for this little tool (popcorn converter didn't work for me I dunno why...)
    no encoding is made to the video, the quality is not changed as it keeps exactly as it is, the video is not touched

what is causing this is the remuxing without compression, because some TVs doesn't accept compressed video

the streams can be compressed in the MKV container, but some TVs are not compatible with that

PD: "BONUS" Question : ). Is EAC3TO better than aften? I prefer aften cause it gives me the option to select the level of normalization... But I see you recommend using eac3... Is there a reason for it? Compatibility perhaps?
    [QUOTE=sideskroll;2163327]

Well, is up to you, if you prefer AFTEN use it.

Aften : is codecs dependant, you can control decoding by setting you AC3Filter options for example. Is slower because the audio stream must be extracted first

Eac3to: have its own libraries built in, no codec dependant, but you have a little free choice to control the decoding. It can decode the stream directly from the MKV, therefore is faster

You must be able to work with both, because if one fails you still have an alternative
    Last edited by Delta2; 22nd May 2012 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thanks for the rapid response. It is all very clear now.
    Regarding this though...
    Great tool! Let me ask you a couple of questions:
    Let's say I have a source with a LOT of subtitles embedded in ASS format.
    If I just don't click on ANY of those subtitles, does that mean I wish to keep ALL of them? Cause that's how I've been doing it and so far I've kept all the subs intact...
    If you don't select any, then no subtitles is transfered

as I see you're selecting "keep original streams" option, which causes that all streams are transfered, including subtitles
    Would you consider creating an option to keep ONLY DTS audio? Cause as you said, if you check "keep original streams" you're keeping EVERYTHING (including subs).

And, I don't know if this is a bug or just the way it works... But even if you explicitly unchecked "normalize" (either on aften or eac3to) as soon as you add an MKV file to process it automatically re-checks itself.
    (BTW, is it a good practice to normalize audio tracks? Isn't doing so "changing" the dynamic range of the track?)

I guess my question is: Is the difference in volume from DTS to AC3 due to the difference in bandwidth, or is it because the encoder CHANGES the volume level? (therefore, making normalizing something of a necessity)
    If it's the first option (format dependant, lack of bitrate) then I guess it would be wiser to preserve the dynamic range of the original file, even if it means settling for lower volume. But if it's the second option (the encoder messes with the volume) then normalizing becomes a valid option I guess..
    Please, let me know if I made my point clear, perhaps I'm not elaborating my question correctly.

Thanks again for your time and efforts put on this tool-
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM

Would you consider creating an option to keep ONLY DTS audio? Cause as you said, if you check "keep original streams" you're keeping EVERYTHING (including subs).

Must think about it, the idea of this program was to keep it as simple as possible, i.e., without many options

And, I don't know if this is a bug or just the way it works... But even if you explicitly unchecked "normalize" (either on aften or eac3to) as soon as you add an MKV file to process it automatically re-checks itself.
    it's a small bug I think, there is no reason to act that way

(BTW, is it a good practice to normalize audio tracks? Isn't doing so "changing" the dynamic range of the track?)

I guess my question is: Is the difference in volume from DTS to AC3 due to the difference in bandwidth, or is it because the encoder CHANGES the volume level? (therefore, making normalizing something of a necessity)
    If it's the first option (format dependant, lack of bitrate) then I guess it would be wiser to preserve the dynamic range of the original file, even if it means settling for lower volume. But if it's the second option (the encoder messes with the volume) then normalizing becomes a valid option I guess..
    Please, let me know if I made my point clear, perhaps I'm not elaborating my question correctly.

Thanks again for your time and efforts put on this tool-
    Dolby Digital is interesting in that it can contain a lot of dynamic range, and has metadata parameters to adjust its playback characteristics. In practice, this doesn't always work that well.

That's why when you playback a original movie with AC3 you can adjust with AC3Filter or FFDShow's audio processing filters.

Both have normalization / DRC options (overriding the stream metadata)

Unless you have a good device, such as :

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/hardware/broadcast/broadcast-file-based/dp600-...and-media.html

but is very expensive

I think you will notice some low volume in AC3 in your TV or Standalone Player, in your PC as I said you can control it

But your ears knows better, make a test a choose what is best for your ears
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Delta2 View Post
    Dolby Digital is interesting in that it can contain a lot of dynamic range, and has metadata parameters to adjust its playback characteristics. In practice, this doesn't always work that well.

That's why when you playback a original movie with AC3 you can adjust with AC3Filter or FFDShow's audio processing filters.

Both have normalization / DRC options (overriding the stream metadata)

Unless you have a good device, such as :

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/hardware/broadcast/broadcast-file-based/dp600-...and-media.html

but is very expensive

I think you will notice some low volume in AC3 in your TV or Standalone Player, in your PC as I said you can control it

But your ears knows better, make a test a choose what is best for your ears
    Yeah, exactly thats what I was trying to say. What I meant with my question was: Does converting from DTS to ac3 keep the parameters (metadata) on the track? If thats the case normalizing would mess them up. I OBVIOUSLY don't have an amp like the one you linked to. But it is connected through digital to my standalone (which is where I play my files) In theory that should mean that the metadata (if present) is being decoded by the amp, right?
    I obviously notice a drop in volume when compared to DTS, so I was wondering if lower volume is native to the AC3 codec or if it was introduced by the encoder (aften in this case) I can live with turning the volume knob a bit further as long as it means preserving the DNR (or parameters) embedded in the track. (meaning listening to the levels as they were meant to be)
    Any info on that? Thanks again.
    Quote Quote