VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

The publicity department at work shot some video on DV and asked me to take videos off the tapes and put them on discs. I did that using Windows Movie Maker on a Vista laptop, in WMV format-figuring that would be the easiest for them to use. When the person who is going to do the editing tried to open the files on his XP desktop, using, again, Windows Movie Maker, they played fine. When he tried to edit them, the video disappeared, leaving only the audio. We tried this on a few other computers and got the same results.

When I took the disks home and tried to edit the files on my XP desktop, it worked fine.

Any clue as to why they files couldn't be edited on the computers at work? Is there a simple work around? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mwilliams1220
    Hi,

The publicity department at work shot some video on DV and asked me to take videos off the tapes and put them on discs. I did that using Windows Movie Maker on a Vista laptop, in WMV format-figuring that would be the easiest for them to use. When the person who is going to do the editing tried to open the files on his XP desktop, using, again, Windows Movie Maker, they played fine. When he tried to edit them, the video disappeared, leaving only the audio. We tried this on a few other computers and got the same results.

When I took the disks home and tried to edit the files on my XP desktop, it worked fine.

Any clue as to why they files couldn't be edited on the computers at work? Is there a simple work around? Thanks
    I can't say why but WMV encode should only be used as the last step after editing.

If you want to edit in a second pass I'd suggest you capture and select clips in DV format and then output in DV format to the person editing the tapes. WMM will capture from the camcorder and export to DV-AVI (under "other" settings). When you do it this way there is no loss for cuts, and small loss if you add effects.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are the files being accessed from a network share? Recently, I tried to play a couple of WMVs that a colleague put on a shared area and I only got the audio. When I copied them to my local drive they played just fine. Not sure if it had to do with accessing the network share via the full path rather than being mapped to a drive letter.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote