VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently started backing up my Blu-ray disc and need advice on which format to use. I want to make sure that the video format I choose is future proof. I have converted a couple to .mkv but have realized that I can not stream them to Windows Media Extenders. This is currently not a big deal because I only have one media extender but as time goes on I think it might become more of a problem as I add media extenders.

I'm using RipBot to convert to .mkv and shrink the video file, so I could always just select .mp4 instead of .mkv After read lots of posts everyone seems to like .mkv better then .mp4. Can some explain why or why not to convert to .mp4 rather then .mkv?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it depends on your playback device.

Mp4 is more widely accepted than mkv. However mp4 has many restrictions depending on the hardware your playing on.

MKV currently has limited support compared to mp4. However if you play on a computer it doesn't really matter which one.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I would go with MKV. MKV was designed to be an open and freely available container. What that means is that when it's not supported, it's because of laziness and NOT monetary reasons. MP4 is not open and it's not free. It has a lot of limitations. Heck, it didn't even support AC3 audio for a long time. Can you imagine that? How can you not support AC3? MKV support is growing.

Here is a comparison.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats

Only a fool would tie himself into Microsoft. Heed my warning or live to regret it later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most playback devices now play mkv.....
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer
    most playback devices now play mkv.....
    No, they don't. A selection of the newest devices will playback MKV files, but the majority still do not.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer MKV because of all the available options, especially the audio formats. I convert all my BD files to MKV for playback on my servers. I have no problems with MKV playback with the WDTV Live box or MPC-HC. If you can't play MKV back properly, you probably need a faster computer or a compatible video card.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to keep using MKV and hope that support for this format keeps growing.
    Quote Quote