VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks,

First post here. I have a Canon FS100 that I bought to make videos of my son's football games. I stop the camera after each play, so the result is a large number of files.

Yesterday I downloaded the video files and tried to burn them to a DVD. My video editor is PowerProducer Gold 2. It burned OK, but, after inserting the DVD into the DVD player on our TV, each clip appears as a separate chapter, and just one chapter plays. To play the second and each succeeding chapter, it's necessary to select it and then hit Play again.

Is there any way to make a DVD that plays all the chapters continuously, without stopping?

My first thought was to merge each video clip into a single file, but the program only allows merger of 5 clips at a time, and each game has over 50 clips I would like on the DVD. Also, after merging about 20 clips, the program keep freezing and all my work would be lost.

Thanks for any advice,
    bill
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try to merge with a different program
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    True DVD "chapters" play fluidly without any noticeable breaks or pauses. What you have/ended up with on the DVD are multiple titles.....not multiple chapters. Merging all of those clips would be a "last resort" scenario for me. I'd rather have each clip as a chapter IMO....but that is not what you have.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. So how to burn the clips as multiple chapters rather than multiple titles? If my PowerProducer software is inadequate, please feel free to suggest something else that would do the job.

bill
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you can do this. VideoReDo and MPEGVCR are commercial editors (not terribly expensive but also not free) and you can try before you buy. Use one of them to merge all your files into one giant video and then make a DVD from that. I'm not familiar with PowerProducer so I can't help with that. I can tell you that it is possible to do what you want, just not necessarily with what you have on hand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why not just add all of his clips into one "title"? A whole lot easier than joining 50 clips into a giant lump....only to wish later that he had chapter markers between plays for easier reference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see a pictogram in the Preferences that may get me what I want, will try and advise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ConvertxToDVD can make individual clips into chapters....but it's not free. It requires a "right click" option on the first clip you add to the project. The first clip and everything you add will end up as chapters inside a title.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    convertxtodvd doesnt have the greatest interface and menu creator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Flick is free and will allow you to add multiple clips to create a single title with multiple chapters. I believe the latest release of AVStoDVD can do this as well.

I would recommend you look at AVStoDVD. Use this to create a single title, and have it encode to elementary streams, and use these to author in a more flexible tool.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well by clicking on the correct pictogram PowerProducer does produce a DVD that plays all the clips without stopping.

I did encounter an issue when trying to add background music. The music restarts on each clip, which is no good as each clip is only 15 seconds or so.

Is there a program that would play the music continuously?

For the future, I'd like to be able to add still photos between video clips and text captions on the clips, if there's a program that has these abilities.

Giving DVD Flick a try now, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you are now talking about is editing, not authoring.

You need to first add all your clips together into a single clip, add your audio, output the results, and use these to author a DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, it looks like DVD Flick has the same problem as PowerProducer. I can get the clips to play continuously but the music restarts after each clip. So, as you suggest, it seems that if I want music I'll need to combine all the clips into a single giant clip and then add the music. Are VideoReDo and MPEGVCR the best products for making a single file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your source is mpeg-2, then yes, they will do the job nicely
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Demux all the video portions (if already muxed) and add the M2Vs one after the other using the "Add" button in Muxman. Then when all done add the one audio track. Give them a "Destination Folder" and then "Start". That will also give you a single track DVD. No menus, though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is "mux"?

I was able to merge my clips into one file with VideoReDo, but it's not quite right, the merged files has some freezes and skipping. How to ensure an error-free merged file? Or maybe my computer needs more RAM or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by billdz
    Is there a program that would play the music continuously?

For the future, I'd like to be able to add still photos between video clips and text captions on the clips, if there's a program that has these abilities.
    My newest favorite for stuff like you are asking is Magix Movie Edit. It's cheap but man can you do almost
    anything with it. And it's easy for us editing dummies. Just drag stuff into the timeline. Video clips, pics, add
    an extra track just for your audio....adjust the audio between your clips and the extra audio you've chosen....I find
    it VERY impressive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by billdz
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is "mux"?
    Mux is short for 'multiplex'. When you author a DVD you multiplex all the different pieces - the video, audio, subs, chapters - merge them into one VOB container. When you demux or demultiplex you separate out everything again. So when I said to demux if necessary, I meant that Muxman takes only the separate pieces and you'll need to add in the various video-only M2Vs or MPVs or whatever DVD compliant form they're already in. However, if there's something wrong with the video, maybe you'll get results like you saw with VideoReDO. I don't know. I use Muxman's 'Add' button all the time though, when I encode different parts of a video separately, to rejoin them all. And I've never had any problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It needs to be authored better.
    I could playlist this in Ulead DVD Workshop or Apple DVD Studio Pro with no problems. Easy.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've downloaded the trial version of Magix Movie Edit 15 and so far so good. What is the difference between Magix Movie Edit 15 ($50) and Magix Movie Edit Plus 15 ($80)? What does the Plus give you for the extra $30? And does version 15 have important features that the older versions lack? Version 12 is available on eBay for less than $20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've downloaded the trial version of Magix Movie Edit 15 and so far so good. What is the difference between Magix Movie Edit 15 ($50) and Magix Movie Edit Plus 15 ($80)? What does the Plus give you for the extra $30? And does version 15 have important features that the older versions lack? Version 12 is available on eBay for less than $20.
    I've got the cheapo version. The only difference I've read about the two is 32 tracks vs. 99. The most tracks I've ever used is 5.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Magic Movie Edit was exactly what I needed, thanks for the tip. My DVD looks great. Is it worth the extra money to buy version 15, or does the cheaper version 12 do pretty much the same thing?

Thanks to all for helping me.

bill
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Magix was sort of "unknown" until recently....at least to me anyway. The older one just might be junk....you never know....I never used it,
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hech, where in Europe do u live? I lived 6 years in Slovakia but am now back in the USA.

Is there any way to import multiple files with MMEP 15? When I made the DVD yesterday, I used the single big file I had created with VideoReDo. But it seems files must be imported one at a time with MMEP 15, which is a problem since each football games has over 50 files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hech, where in Europe do u live? I lived 6 years in Slovakia but am now back in the USA.

Is there any way to import multiple files with MMEP 15? When I made the DVD yesterday, I used the single big file I had created with VideoReDo. But it seems files must be imported one at a time with MMEP 15, which is a problem since each football games has over 50 files.
    I'm in Deutschland now.
    I haven't tried multiple files yet to be honest....I'll have to have a play this weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone on another forum told me I could point the Import window to the folder with the video files, select multiple files and drag them to the timeline. But my program is not allowing me to do this. Are you able to drag multiple files? I only have the trial version, could this be the reason?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    After you open the program....go straight to the EDIT tab in the top right corner. Navigate to the folder where you clips are stored, highlight the ones you want to add then drag them into the timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The program is not allowing me to highlight multiple files. I press on shift, then scroll, but only one file at a time is selected.

This is so at least on My Videos and My Photos. It does allow highlighting of multiple files at least in some other folders. It seems that multiple highlighting is possible in folders where no thumbnails are in the window.

I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My version only allows it from the EDIT tab....not the IMPORT window.
    Quote Quote