VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

So I've been using h264ts_cutter to chop the beginning and end of my HD PVR .ts files to this point, but I've got tons of them sitting here for months now with commercials, waiting for me to figure out just how to handle them. I've done a bit of reading before posting, and it does seem like there's some possibilities in this area now (there weren't really any back at the beginning of the year when I got the HD PVR), but there doesn't seem to be a 'best' way about this.

I've read of two methods....a method involving dgavcdec (which didn't go well for me as I was unable to open the dga file I called in my avs script), and a method using x264vfw (which I'm toying with at the moment).

I've got to believe that there's some people out there who have this down to a science now, and might be willing to point me to the end-all be-all 'best' way for me to go about doing this. Please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Over the air TS files use 15 frame GOPs (1/2 sec). H.264 would not be an off air capture and has much longer GOPs depending on source.

Are you asking for frame accuracy? Try Premirere CS4
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Hauppauge HD PVR uses 32 frame GOPs for 720p and 64 frame GOPs for 1080i.

Try TsSniper for keyframe only cuts with no reencoding. It works better than h264ts_cutter.

DgAvcDec is currently the best tool for decoding the HD PVR files. Your AviSynth script should look something like:

AvcSource("filename.dga")

You must put DgAvcDecode.dll in your AviSynth Plugins folder for this to work. And this will require that you reencode the entire movie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you use the Total Media Extreme that came with the HD PVR? It works just fine for taking out comercials.

Reelman472
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Reelman472
    Why don't you use the Total Media Extreme that came with the HD PVR? It works just fine for taking out comercials.
    Which module are you talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Reelman472

Reelman472
    You mean "Cutting Room" in the TME "Create disc" module.(?)

Yeah, it works, but it's rather crude. Reminds me of trying to dub single songs from audio cassettes to a blank. You had to be alert and quick with the pause button. :P

TSSniper works pretty well with a little practice.

[EDIT] Not to denigrate anyone's generous efforts to make freeware available, but...h264ts_cutter needs some further development. It makes ugly, inaccurate cuts. Which is not to say TSSniper couldn't be improved, and I hope the author continues work on it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wish you could use the arrow keys to move back and forth on the timeline with TsSniper.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo
    I wish you could use the arrow keys to move back and forth on the timeline with TsSniper.
    Don't you mean TME?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I wish you could use the arrow keys to move back and forth on the timeline with TsSniper.
    Don't you mean TME?
    No TsSniper. Are there some keyboard controls for this I simply don't know about? Ie, use the keyboard to move to the next or previous key frame.

Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Not to denigrate anyone's generous efforts to make freeware available, but...h264ts_cutter needs some further development. It makes ugly, inaccurate cuts. Which is not to say TSSniper couldn't be improved, and I hope the author continues work on it.
    The author stopped working on it a long time ago because a new job forced him to. I believe his new job was at a software company that makes similar software.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [EDIT] Not to denigrate anyone's generous efforts to make freeware available, but...h264ts_cutter needs some further development. It makes ugly, inaccurate cuts. Which is not to say TSSniper couldn't be improved, and I hope the author continues work on it.
    Right...which is why I've been OK using it to lop the beginning and end from movie recordings (where you don't see the sloppy frame or two anyways), but not for cutting commercials and things of that nature.

I heard so much bad about the editor in TME that I'd forgotten it's there. I think I'll give TsSniper a try, and look back at that TME editor if I don't do well with that...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Don't you mean TME?
    No TsSniper. Are there some keyboard controls for this I simply don't know about? Ie, use the keyboard to move to the next or previous key frame.
    Oh, I see what you mean. Dunno. I agree it would be convenient, but using the mouse to operate the various controls works well enough.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote