VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi ppl ...i m using pinnacle tv tuner card and i use christv to record videos...i m currently using mpg recordin..the quality is pretty good but the file size goes up like hell....for 10 mins video it goes upto 800mb....this is really annoyin...there are many options for recordin..i donno which 1 to choose ...can any1 tell me which codec should i use...there are many codec options like xvid mpeg4 ...divx etc...and these codecs are under avi recordin...can any1 temme what is the diff between avi and mpeg recordin and which is good for a long run...as i write the videos on dvd ....so plss lemme knw what to do
    Quote Quote  
  2. Divx certified DVD players can play Divx/Xvid encoded video. Divx and Xvid can encode with smaller files sizes and similar quality as MPEG2. But they require a lot of horsepower while encoding to do so. That makes them unsuitable for video capture. It's possible to use settings that are faster but then you don't get as good compression. You might as well stick with MPEG 2.

Most of the other codecs you probably see are old and outdated -- Cinepak, Intel Indeo, Microsoft h.263, etc . They are too slow for video capture and/or don't give good compression.

If you really want small files with good picture quality you should capture with a fast lossless codec like HuffYUV. It doesn't compress very much but gives you a temporary file that is at the full quality of what your device captured. Then you go back later and do a slow Divx/Xvid/h.264 encode to produce your final high quality, small file. When done you delete the intermediate file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you making a dvd-video? or just burning the mpgs on a dvd?

The best is probably to capture in a low compressed format like lossless huffyuv or lagarith and then after REconvert to a mpeg4 like divx,xvid or h264 or if you are making dvd-video use avstodvd together with the hcenc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @ baldrick yes i m making a dvd video....i could hv easily made a data disc...but my dvd player cant read data discs....
    @jagabo
    yup..u r right ...there are many codecs ..includin the ones u mentioned...i ve tried all of them but there is noticable difference in the picture quality...the quality drops like hell....u see those tiny moving pixels and u can easily make out that encodin is not proper....so isnt there any other codec like which uses a lot of horsepower as u say and can encode while capturing...the thing is i hv a quad core....so processing is not an issue...so even a codec that requires high processin power will do ....is there any other options for capturin.it in small size rather that convertin it later on ....and ya i would also like 2 knw,..can i save the output file in mp4 format...coz i sync the videos on my iphone...so everytime i need to conver them to mp4...which is again very teadious and since the videos are very large in size it makes it hell lot painin to do it ....any help and suggestion u can giv me ill appreciate that ...nd thanx for ur reply
    Quote Quote  
  5. @baldrick ...
    thanx for d links ....well i use nero 7 to convert the videos and write them onto the dvd....nero has somethin knwn as nero vision 4...that also allows me to edit menu pages and u can like make very attractive dvds .....

and ....guys i would also like 2 kwn...i see many other settings like bitrate...color dept ...and many other options along with compression....this stuff confuses me...do these affect the file size as well ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. see this is an image...hope it helps in some way ...and ya u see the image quality is also all not that great....coz i use anaolgue cable and ppl say that u can get better quality in analog...but what makes me think ...is that i use the same cable for my tv ...and the image quality there is way better to what apperas over here...is this again to do with some settings or some other stuff...or is it that my tuner card is not good enough ?

sdsd.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  7. There is a lot of noise in your captures. All the noise eats up bitrate when MPEG encoding. Either your analog cable feed is very noisy or you have some source of noise in you capture card or computer. Unless you can clean that up nothing is going to get good compression.
    Quote Quote  
  8. oh i see...does external noise affect the encoding and picture quality ...
    actually my speakers are right next to my cpu where there is my tv tuner card....and i guess that is the main reason....now i see...those moving electrons..[i donno what u call them....the black and white dots] i see them everytime movin right ahead of the picture....r those because of the sound only .?
    and ya i also hv my graphic card right above my tv tuner card...and the graphic cards fan blows air right on top of my tv tuner ...can this b of some prob as well ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I wouldn't expect computer speakers to cause noise like that. Having the capture card right next to the graphics card might. Put the capture card as far away from any other cards as you can. Noise from devices inside the computer tends to be less random though -- more like a herringbone or diagonal line pattern. Make sure the cable TV wire is grounded where it enters the house/building.

By the way, maybe it was just an oversight when preparing the screen cap, but the audio is to a very low sample rate. You should be using 48or 44.1 KHz sampling, not 8 KHz.
    Quote Quote  
  10. well...i cannot possibly move my graphic card or tv tuner away from each other...as there are only one slot for each ...and unfortunately they r right next to each other....wat i m thinkin is i unplug my graphic card while using my tv tuner card .....

and i din get u on the groundin thing...how do u make sure that the wire is properly grounded....well on my comp's spike guard the groundin is proper...how do u check it for the cable wire ???

AND YA IT IS NOT AN OVERSIGHT...DUDE I VE TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET RID OF THESE DOTS ...THE BLACK AND WHITE DOTS THAT KEEPS MOVING RIGHT AHEAD OF THE VIDEO.....I HATE IT...I VE DONE LIKE EVERYTHIN...INSTALLIN NEW SOFTWARE...CLEANIN THE CARD ...CHANGIN THE POWER SUPPLY....BUT NEVER THAUGHT THIS CAN BE A SOUND ISSUE...I PREVIOUSLY HAD EVEN WORSE SUCH DOTS ...[BEAR ME FOR CALLIN THEM DOTS...I DONNO WHAT EXACTLY U CALL THEM...LOL] AND YA WHEN I GOT CHRISTV I SAW A GOOD DIFFERENCE ....AND YA REGARDING SOUND ...WILL CHANGE THE SETTIN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd look at the wiring and splits. If the wire into the television is known good, then move the computer temporarily and steal the wire from the TV. If it looks good, the wire is at fault. If it still looks bad, then it's the computer at fault.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. yeah dude....i use the same wire for both television and cable...its like when i need to record tv shows i unplug the tv ....and plug in the same wire into my comp...so u see its the same wire ....!!

recently i got a new wire....as i moved my comp a bit ...but that hardly made any major difference in the picture quality

so by now i m sure its either the tv tuner at fault or somethin is wrong with some settings or could be the sound problem...pls temme the way forward....appreciate all ur suggestions so far...thanx dude
    Quote Quote  
  13. see dude this is the pic of my tv tuner inside the cpu

Quote Quote  
  14. and dude see...this image...almost on all channels i see this problem....these black and white disturbances on the screen....
    pls temme the way forward ..!!

Quote Quote