VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    So you've got a damaged movie DVD. It starts and plays OK in general, but freezes in certain areas where scratches or other physical damage occur. Attempting to rip it normally aborts with CRC errors. Here's a possible solution...

In my limited experience, the only software that will rip damaged movie DVDs is RipIt4Me (which uses DVD Decrypter). Other rippers such as DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVD Shrink abort when a CRC error is encountered. However RipIt4Me bypasses those errors and temporarily fills with dummy sectors. Later it offers to try to re-rip the bad areas. Even if it fails to read the bad areas after repeated tries, the result is a playable movie folder. All of the files are there in proper sequence, and it plays OK with PowerDVD (for example). When a bad-sector area is encountered, it fast-forwards to the next good scene, so there are no freezes. In effect there are missing areas of video where the bad sectors were encountered on the original damaged disc.

The resultant folder can be loaded into DVD Shrink for editing/reauthoring and production of a normal VIDEO_TS folder, in case you want to burn it. The original size of the titles that have had video removed are highlighted in blue. After backup/reauthoring with DVD Shrink and then running FixVTS to be double-sure about the pointers, the true size of the titles is shown. The difference is presumably the amount of video removed. For example in one case I found a difference of 5354-5263=91MB which corresponded to about 2-3 minutes of video removed. That's not a lot of loss from a 2 hour movie. It's better than nothing!

I suppose there are other ways to do it, and I'm all ears.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience DVDFab HD Decrypter will try forever until it finishes ripping the movie completely. I've had discs that nothing else could ever rip but it could rip them. You just have to be patient with problem discs and let it go for hours or maybe even overnight for big problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nothing to see here....please move on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    In my experience DVDFab HD Decrypter will try forever until it finishes ripping the movie completely. I've had discs that nothing else could ever rip but it could rip them. You just have to be patient with problem discs and let it go for hours or maybe even overnight for big problems.
    How do you make it go for hours? Is there a setting for that? In my experience it aborts the rip when a CRC error is found.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    I suppose there are other ways to do it, and I'm all ears.
    Software: Isopuzzle
    Hardware: Rub down the scratches with Brasso. Yes, it's an abrasive, it will take away the shine as well as the scratches.

Then repeat Isopuzzle -- it can continue to fill in any bits it couldn't read on earlier runs till it gets to 100%.
    Then mount the ISO and run whatever ripping apps you want.

I've done this with scratched up DVDs, first run got to 80%. After a polish, 100%.
    Some are too damaged to be fixed, of course. But you've already got all the data you could, so nothing lost.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Originally Posted by jman98
    How do you make it go for hours? Is there a setting for that? In my experience it aborts the rip when a CRC error is found.
    I don't remember setting anything except where to dump the ripped file, so your post puzzles me as I don't know why it's aborting for you. I use only the free version by the way and I don't use it often.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DVDDecrypter can do it too, and just as well as DVDFabHDDecrypter.

Tools -> Settings -> I/O -> Options -> Ignore Read Errors (tick checkbox) -> Software Read Error Retries (I set this for 7, but you can set more if you like. In my experience, if it can't get the data in 7 retries, it won't get any more. Then it ignores the problem cell and moves on.)
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just take the disc to a Hastings or other business that would clean/resurface the disc. Me, I bought a Disc Repair Machine on eBay, it comes in handy. Worth every cent if you're into music and movies.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote