VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm trying to transfer a tape that has problematic audio.

I first tried it in my JVC HR-S9911. Visually, it plays fine. However, there seem to be two competing soundtracks: the Norm and Hi-Fi, which causes a sort of static-crackle in the sound. On the VCR's automatic setting (when I first put the tape in and played it), the front panel lights flicker between Norm and the left speaker symbol. Using the audio monitor button, I was able to just select just the Norm setting and then it played fine. But it had hissy audio (a frequent problem with Norm audio on JVC, in my experience).

I thought I would try the tape in my Panasonic AG-1980, which is sometimes plays non-HiFi audio with less hiss than the JVC. Same problem though: crackly audio. In fact, every time the audio crackles, you can see the front panel indicator flipping between NORM and Hi-Fi.

So I tried to turn off the Hi-Fi manually just like I did on the JVC. But there is no similar audio monitor button on the AG-1980 that I can find. There is an audio out button that supposedly selects the audio track, but when I pressed it while this tape was playing, it did nothing. The audio continued to crackle and flip back and forth from Norm to Hi-Fi Stereo.

I can't believe the Panny wouldn't let me suppress the Hi-Fi track manually while the JVC does. Are there any experienced AG-1980 users out there who know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moxiecat
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to transfer a tape that has problematic audio.

I first tried it in my JVC HR-S9911. Visually, it plays fine. However, there seem to be two competing soundtracks: the Norm and Hi-Fi, which causes a sort of static-crackle in the sound. On the VCR's automatic setting (when I first put the tape in and played it), the front panel lights flicker between Norm and the left speaker symbol. Using the audio monitor button, I was able to just select just the Norm setting and then it played fine. But it had hissy audio (a frequent problem with Norm audio on JVC, in my experience).

I thought I would try the tape in my Panasonic AG-1980, which is sometimes plays non-HiFi audio with less hiss than the JVC. Same problem though: crackly audio. In fact, every time the audio crackles, you can see the front panel indicator flipping between NORM and Hi-Fi.

So I tried to turn off the Hi-Fi manually just like I did on the JVC. But there is no similar audio monitor button on the AG-1980 that I can find. There is an audio out button that supposedly selects the audio track, but when I pressed it while this tape was playing, it did nothing. The audio continued to crackle and flip back and forth from Norm to Hi-Fi Stereo.

I can't believe the Panny wouldn't let me suppress the Hi-Fi track manually while the JVC does. Are there any experienced AG-1980 users out there who know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
    VHS "HiFi" has normal linear tracks (for playback on non HiFi players) and separate HiFi stereo tracks encoded FM with the video. HiFi track decode is extremely sensitive to tracking. You will lose HiFi audio before the video starts to show tracking errors.

The "auto" mode switches to linear tracks when the HiFi tracks are showing tracking errors. Linear tracks perform similar to analog audio cassettes. Some decks use Dolby for noise reduction, most don't.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the info. Just to clarify though...is there a button on the Panny that suppresses the HiFi track, like the JVC has in its "audio monitor"? The Panny is not switching to the linear tracks in its auto mode, but playing a scratchy mess of both tracks. I can't get its HiFi track to completely turn off, like I can with the JVC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moxiecat
    Thanks for the info. Just to clarify though...is there a button on the Panny that suppresses the HiFi track, like the JVC has in its "audio monitor"? The Panny is not switching to the linear tracks in its auto mode, but playing a scratchy mess of both tracks. I can't get its HiFi track to completely turn off, like I can with the JVC.
    Have you checked all the on screen menus? Audio options are usually in there someplace.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Panasonic AG-1980 does not have on-screen menus.

I have looked in the manual, but all I can find is the "audio out" button which has no effect.
    Quote Quote  
  6. what about the remote?
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. The remote has the same "audio out" button that is on the front of the unit, and that is it. The AG-1980 remote is pretty basic. Most of the switches and settings are on the unit's flip-down front panel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the switches on the flip-down controls.

mono = ON

See if that does it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks, but the mono "on/off" switch didn't do anything either.

I'm starting to think that the AG-1980 automatically sets the audio, and will not be told that its decision is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had the same problem-the mono switch on the AG-1980 doesn't work like switching Audio Monitor to NORM on the JVCs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks Bix - now I know I'm not entirely crazy! I don't understand why either the Mono switch or Audio Out button didn't work to shut off the HiFi track. The Audio Out button in particular should work the same as the Audio Monitor setting on the JVC, but it definitely doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try adjust the tracking,sometimes it will clear the hi-fi track so it plays without switching and crackling..
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not the mono switch, I must've been tired when I wrote that.

It's the AUDIO OUT button. Press it a few times until the L and R channel icons disappear from the LED display.

The audio will likely be muffled some, making hardware audio boards all the more important after the VCR, to correct for it. Hiss increases too, but software can filter that.

I had to change to linear track just now, had an old 80s tape I was working on. Did it just fine.

It may be a damaged linear track, too, if removing L and R has no effect. Odd, however, if the JVC plays it where the Panasonic won't. This isn't one of the Panasonic's stronger points -- keep that in mind. Not the best machine for audio. It tends to pick up extra noise with the signal, in my experience. Sometimes ground loop hums, too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This tape should probably just be played in mono or NORM on the 9911
    Quote Quote