VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, i am new here but have some good knowledge of editing and encoding etc but the problem i have is i have recently brought a Sony HDR-XR200VE PAL high definition camcorder and when i add the AVC files to Sony Vegas 8.0 i want to take out some bits of the video i dont want and render/encode so there is NO loss of quality from the original (bar a tiny bit obiously, you cant better the source).
    I have tried saving the file as a .m2v file but Vegas wont let me import them back in and it has no sound track. I have tried saving it as various files on vegas but most are 1440x1080 which is not as good as 1920 and most dont save the sound track to go with it nor is it selectable in custom and filesize can be a bit big, even at a 18000 bitrate that sony uses itself for the original avc files. I really want to try and save as 1920x1080 PAL 50i (25fps) 18000cbr file or as close to the original source and i have tried making a custom but sometimes it errors when i add a 1920 instead of 1440 and so on.
    Basically is there anyone who does what i said and how can you do it, i mean ive heard of people editing and putting their work back onto the camcorder but how? there MUST be a way to simply cut out bits of a file editing or otherwise and saving it the same as it was with pretty much no loss of quality...please help, thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try converting the AVC file with Neoscene to a lossless AVI which Vegas will happily worth with. Other than a few apps which imprecisely chop sections of AVCHD footage there is always some quality loss when you edit video. The good thing is the quality loss might not be visually evident. The Cineform codec (which Neoscene uses) will let you save a file which is 4X the size of your AVCHD input. That's remarkably efficient.

1440 is 1920 when it is saved in 16:9 aspect ratio. The playback software "stretches" the video back to 1920x1080. The technical terms for this are PAR and DAR.

You can install a lossless video codec such as Lagarith and save the file you are working on in full 1920x1080, but the quality isn't going to be any different than saving at 1440x1080 at 16:9.

Moving the stuff back to the camcorder would be a nightmare. My advice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145276&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-1...-276-_-Product

If you really want to incur the lowest loss of quality the above suggestions will do it. Whenever you work with HD files, the disk space requirements are huge. Saving to HDV or MPEG2 will result in quality loss because you're going from one compressed lossy format to another.

AVCHD------>Vegas------>HDV-------->Vegas = Quality Loss

AVCHD------>Vegas------>Lossless AVI------>Vegas = Minimal Quality Loss but will require a lot of disk space.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh i see, thank you very much for answering this query, i will take what you said into consideration and let you know the results, thanks again
    Quote Quote