VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have been capturing some old video tapes. Problem I have had is that the incoming audio has been a little too low for my liking. I have been ripping the audio off the video and using some audio editing software to improve the volume, and although it is satisfactory, I am not really getting the results I would like.

Just want to know if there is anyway I can increase the volume of the source while I am capturing?

Also, what would be the best audio editing software for improving the clips volume?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your capture software has recording volume settings you can use that. If it's maxed out already, and the source is just too low, you can use an amp between the source and capture card. Otherwise you'll have to adjust the volume after capturing. For best quality save the audio uncompressed while capturing, compress after adjusting the volume.

There is one special case: mp3 audio. The volume can be adjusted without reencoding. There's a thread or guide around here somewhere about it. You're still better off capturing uncompressed, adjusting the volume, and encoding later though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gmania
    ..............Also, what would be the best audio editing software for improving the clips volume?.......
    Audacity is a good freebie to work on audio files.
    You demux and use the audio file in Audacity, do you thing, normalize and increase volume for example, (can save as AC3 file if you wish) then mux back and author and burn to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Quote Quote