VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings,

Here is my setup at the moment, I got this setup for a while now but I can only record in 720x480:

Xbox 360
    Playstation 3 ---> Impact Acoustics 6x2 Component Video Matrix ---> Hava Titanium HD ---> TV and also laptop
    Wii

What I would need would be to be able to record in full 1080p all my gaming consoles gameplay with component cables preferably (as far as I know there is no HDMI cable for the wii and this would complicate things). I am aware that the Wii is limited to 480p but this would be to get a general setup for all consoles, preferably all going through the component switch.

Anyone got ideas of what I would need and how much this would cost me (approximately)?

Thanks a lot for your help and support.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Ryu Hayabusa
    What I would need would be to be able to record in full 1080p all my gaming consoles gameplay with component cables
    Ain't gonna happen at any price you can affored. 1080i or 720p yes. With something like the Hauppauge HD PVR. I don't think any consoles put out 1080p over component video anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No cards support full 1080p 59.94fps capture in the prices us normal people can afford.
    Also, there are only one or two games that render near 1920x1080p (99.99% of all games on PS3/360 are 1280x720p).
    You best bet would be a Intensity Pro which supports 480i, 720p, 1080i over hdmi or component.
    Only issue for you would be it does not support 480p. I have a Intensity Pro I'm looking to sell if you are interested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes not all games support 1080p. There are probably a lot more these days but its not a guarantee.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. They may be rendering at 1080p but they are probably putting out 1080i over the component output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Greetings,

Thanks to all for your advices, I said 1080p because this will probably be mostly used in the future, I want my investment to last for a couple of years. I have no trouble recording in 1080i whatsoever, what was my major interest was to mostly keep the current configuration I have and change the Hava placeshifter, I might have a look for the products you told me about, Intensity and Hauppauge but I needed these devices to support my component switch in the first place.

I think the best bet for me will be the Hauppauge HD-PVR for the 480p as specified in previous post, but will that product support the input from the component switch instead of the console directly?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Ryu Hayabusa
    Intensity and Hauppauge but I needed these devices to support my component switch in the first place.
    Are you talking about a simple A/B switch? That should be no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about this for the component switch?
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/cables/impact-acoustics-component-video-switcher

If so, then as long as you have component cables to output the video, plus the two red/white cables for audio, then there should be no problem. I don't know much about the Hauppauge HD-PVR, but if it only supports 480i, then go with an Intensity Pro as it supports both compressed and uncompressed capture of 480i, 720p, or 1080i over component or hdmi.

And if you end up being interested in the Intensity Pro I'm looking to sell one (message me).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Greetings,

Thanks again, unfortunately I do not think that I could use the Intensity device because as you said earlier, the "HD" resolution of the Wii (480p) is not supported by that device. Also it seems that the Intensity is an internal card, I use my laptop for recording, something like the Hauppauge which is external would be a better choice for me.

Thanks to all, you have been of great help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, the Intensity is an internal PC card, so with a laptop it won't work for you.
    But as for the Hauppauge HD-PVR, I just looked it up, doesn't list that it supports 480p.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Seraphic-
    But as for the Hauppauge HD-PVR, I just looked it up, doesn't list that it supports 480p.
    I'm pretty sure I tried 480p back when I first got the HD PVR and it worked. But that was a while ago so I may not remember incorrectly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Greetings,

I just googled Hauppauge HD PVR 480p and found the following:

http://www.raiden.net/print/articles/535/1/

Yes it does support 480p.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Ryu Hayabusa
    Greetings,

I just googled Hauppauge HD PVR 480p and found the following:

http://www.raiden.net/print/articles/535/1/

Yes it does support 480p.
    I googled the same thing and found a lot of web sites that indicate 480p suppport -- but there is no indication they actually tried it. I also saw a lot of forum posts by people having trouble capturing 480p (but no problems with 480i, 720p, and 1080i). I couldn't find anything on Hauppauge's web site that specifies one way or another.

Well, it was a PITA, but I tested it by setting my cable box to output only 480p. Yes, the Hauppauge HD PVR will capture 480p.
    Quote Quote