VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to setup media center so i can record off sattalite but during setup i am told to attach an IR cable to my set top box and computer but i dont have one or even know what thay mean. i am running media center xp. During setup i can see the picture of what i want to record but the next step says attach this IR cable and i cant get past that point. I am using All in Wonder HD Premium card. connected thru s video cable. can anybody please help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found this on some forum, havent tried it myself:
    "Link to a method by using a fake IR receiver.
    http://www.myhava.com/forum/download/file.php?id=53
    Unzip the downloaded file & follow the directions
    in the enclosed PDF on installing and you will be able to
    get past the 'IR Hardware not Detected' message.
    Of course, that way you won't be able to use Media Center
    for changing the channel for unattended recordings
    as it was designed to function.
    Although labeled as 'Vista MCE IR blaster.zip'
    this works OK in MCE 2005."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The IR cable is a lead that runs from your PC to the IR receiver on your satellite box. It acts as a remote control to allow the PC to change channels on the box when recording. The fake IR receiver mentioned in the previous post is, I suspect, just a driver that makes windows think that the IR cable is attached.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for the replies, i tried Ulapines solution and got as far as "select a working TV signal" I am using S-Video and I have a picture so I select next. That is when the error message pops up and i am not offered another option.

3) Continue with manual configuration. Select the active input for HAVA.
    4) Choose "Don't have remote for set-top box" (if asked).
    5) Number of digits - Two digits
    6) Device - Samsung
    7) Remote control code - S1377
    8) Just enter the channel number –answer that everything works OK, even though it doesn’t at this
    point.
    9) Continue to logical exit point of Media Center configuration, then exit Media Center.

I am not alllowed to get to step 3 as Media center stops me there. Perhsps I have missed a step or something altho I thought i was following along
    I do thank you for the posts BTW
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo, will the cables your link lead to work with my " All in wonder HD Premium" card cause if I can buy the required cable that would work problem solved. I looked at the links you provided and some good info is there Ijust did not see my particular setup and being a newbe at this I was unsure what to do. Thanks for the help

BTW I have a remote thatwas provided with the card with a usb sensor but the puter does not see it, if that was working wold that solve my problem? Is that what it wants?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you change the registry setting to activate the driver?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by west403
    Jagabo, will the cables your link lead to work with my " All in wonder HD Premium" card
    You have to use capture software that knows how to use the IR Blaster. I don't know if if there exists software that can use both the IR blaster and you capture device. I would look at PVR software like Beyond TV, GB PVR, Sage TV, Myth TV, etc.

Note, the IR Blaster is not simply a "cable". It is a hardware device with a built in cable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i did try to edit registry but i could not find HAVATV in there. it was not there
    Quote Quote