VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just for my understanding: What is the purpose of a FullHD TV when I have just a normal DVD player? I may not be able to make use of the "High Definition" content right?

Regards
    Dominic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is HD OTA broadcasts, some consoles support HD output (Xbox 360/PS3), and of course there is the simple "future-proofing" excuse.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    for your regular dvd's you could get an upconverting player that scales them to HD resolutions..some of them do a pretty good job.

I have an HDTV and all I use for regular tv shows/etc. is an attic mounted antenna. I get several HD channels from it and the quality is awesome.

I wanted to try some HD stuff as well so I got an HD DVD player for $75 and some HD DVD movies for $4-5 a peice.

If you want to spend $0 dollars on top the TV and don't already have an Antenna for picking up the OTA channels, then getting an HDTV would have no benefit for you..unless you like a bigger, "softer" image with your SD content .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And what about cable HD channels ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15
    And what about cable HD channels ?
    I'll take Video Technology for $400 Alex.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "HD DVD player for $75" May I know which one it is. Does it play JPG photos in high resolution.

Regards
    Dominic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get a bluray player and see full hd...do you have this yet?

jpg will only be hd if the jpeg is....crummy pics will look crummy on hd.

gargabe in=tons of garbage out on hd, so be careful what you buy; not all that glitters is gold.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    it was the toshiba A3 model..I got it on craigslist. the HD DVD list of movies is of course small and outdated. but I'm not paying for bluray until it's quite a bit cheaper..if that never happens then I'll be content..I don't watch a whole lot of movies anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  9. many HD TV's also upscale inputs
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  10. My main purpose is to display high resolution photos in my living room. I am looking into FullHD Monitor TV connected with 1080 upscaling DVD player with HDMI out. Hope this will display images in it max resol.

Regards
    Dominic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In most cases it won't. Most will still downconvert the photos to 720 x 480/576, then upscale. It is still a standard definition device, just with an upscaler on the output. I don't know of any that will display stills at their native resolution (or even scaled directly from native to 1080), but they may exist. Read the fine print before purchasing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for clarifying this. I think now my best option is to find an old/cheap PC with a good video card and get a good 22" HD monitor (TV) to display images. This will not be sleek like a DVD player and cost will be huge.
    Thank you guys.

Regards
    Dominic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    it was the toshiba A3 model..I got it on craigslist. the HD DVD list of movies is of course small and outdated. but I'm not paying for bluray until it's quite a bit cheaper..if that never happens then I'll be content..I don't watch a whole lot of movies anyways.
    Well you got one of the best upscaling DVD players out there.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by greymalkin
    ...the HD DVD list of movies is of course small and outdated...
    I've picked up quite a few unused HD-DVD movies on e-Bay for as little as .99 + $2.00 shipping. That's less than the $5 Walmart DVD bin. That can make buying a used HD-DVD player quite the bargain.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    MysticE --

Something's been bugging me for some time now: I can't quite place your avatar. My best guess is that it's from a Wes Craven movie. Isn't that a guy who was very busy as a teen-to-early-20s actor, and then was pretty much not seen again for several decades ? If so, can't recall his name.

I happen to be a film buff, but my knowledge is never quite as encyclopedic as I would like . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    MysticE --

Something's been bugging me for some time now: I can't quite place your avatar. My best guess is that it's from a Wes Craven movie. Isn't that a guy who was very busy as a teen-to-early-20s actor, and then was pretty much not seen again for several decades ? If so, can't recall his name.

I happen to be a film buff, but my knowledge is never quite as encyclopedic as I would like . . . .
    Nope, from some vid game is all I know.
    Quote Quote