VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some questions about the following Hauppauge HD PVRs.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10081833&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10107259&logon=&langid=EN

First question is: There is quite alot of highlighting that these cards record in .h264 and I would prefer the Mpeg2 format that I get with the Hauppauge 150 that I have on my current computer. So do you have a choice of which format to record in, as I don't have a HD Receiver and I am not interested in HD?

Second question: Since these transfer the captured video and audio via a usb cable is there an issue wth the audio and video being out of synch.

Third question: On my Hauppauge 150 Card it captures with componet and s-video. My satellite receiver has componet outputs and I know componet is much better than composite and s-video. Does this result in much clearer captured video and audio though. My family might be able to pick up one of these up for me in the city tommorow. The cheaper of the two, is it much good or it basically kind of crappy. If the cheaper one could perform adequately, I would much rather get it to save money. Thanks in advance for answers to these questions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any reason why you posted a link the WinTV-HVR-950 "HVR USB Stick"?.

First question is: There is quite alot of highlighting that these cards record in .h264 and I would prefer the Mpeg2 format that I get with the Hauppauge 150 that I have on my current computer. So do you have a choice of which format to record in, as I don't have a HD Receiver and I am not interested in HD?
    No dosen't support MPEG2 at all
    But you do have a choice of which audio format you like AAC or AC3

Second question: Since these transfer the captured video and audio via a usb cable is there an issue wth the audio and video being out of synch.
    No

Third question: On my Hauppauge 150 Card it captures with componet and s-video. My satellite receiver has componet outputs and I know componet is much better than composite and s-video. Does this result in much clearer captured video and audio though. My family might be able to pick up one of these up for me in the city tommorow. The cheaper of the two, is it much good or it basically kind of crappy. If the cheaper one could perform adequately, I would much rather get it to save money. Thanks in advance for answers to these questions.
    Yes you should see a much clearer captured video
    If like go to shspvr.com there a review of it and some clips
    there min other site that did review have look at http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html
    By the way the 150 dosen't have componet did you mean composite
    What you mean by cheaper of the two? if ref to HVR 950 that is not Hardware encoder like HD-PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. SHS: Thank you for the information you have provided. You are right my Hauppauge 150 has composite input, I wrote componet by mistake. To your knowledge is there a Hauppauge USB Product that lets one record in Mpeg 2 and has componet input for the sharper video?

I really am pleased with my Hauppauge 150 on my current computer. I was just thinking of the future, and I am having trouble finding someone localy that can build a custom made computer. So I was thinking USB would be handy if I had to buy a brand name computer and couldn't find someone to install a hauppauge card.

I record to mpeg2, edit with Womble Mpeg Video and then convert to .divx with a product from Tmpgenc. I would convert to .xvid but the resulting video is jumpy. For some reason by using the home theater profile in Tmpgenc my video stays stable; I have never figured it out. Someone at videohelp once speculated it could have something to do with the way Hauppauge records interlaced. Thank you advance for any further help you can be on this matter. Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Far I know of nobody has a USB Product that has componet input and a Hardware MPEG2HD encoding for HD 1080i recording and the one that are out they costing an Arm & Leg and there not USB but there are number USB Product that do have componet input but they are mostlee AVI/DV format only so Hauppauge HD PVR is the only one out there that base on Hardware Encoder even knowing it can't do MPEG2HD.

There is a few 1x PCIe with componet input but there limited to 480i/p only, there the Compro VideoMate E800 which has hardware MPEG2 encoder and not to long ago newegg sold them so cheap it wasn't funny which gone for something like $10 if I recall rigth just to get rid of them and 2nd possable is Kworld PE360-A but as far I can tell it a non hardware encoder.

Your best beat is to stick with what you all ready have
    Is there any reason why you can't install the card your self in new system?.
    Quote Quote  
  5. SHS: Thank you for this additional information. I wouldn't want the mpeg2 to HD specs, just 720x480 like the Hauppauge 150. It would of been nice to see the difference between S-Video and Componet. I am pretty useless at putting parts into computers, so that is why I asked about the USB. I think I will do more searching in my local area for a technician who can install a card like the Hauppauge 150. Thank you once again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh well in that case
    If setup your sat box to output 480i or 480p on the componet output then it will rec 720x480 just like you want.
    If you like I can rec two video from the same show using the two difference S-Video and Componet at same time so you can get an idea on the diff is how ever it have to be from the HVR 1600 as I no longer have a PVR 150.
    Quote Quote  
  7. shs: I am quite curious as to the quality difference; but that seems like alot of work on your part and I don't want to put you through all that bother. My receiver is just a digital receiver it isn't a High Definition one. I record everything with the WinTV2000. Thank you for all the information you have given me. Have a nice evening!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem it eazy to do with SageTV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here you go
    http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/moive_clip/hd_pvr/
    TS file need be play in player that support H.264 video and AAC audio like PowerDVD.
    Both where rec at same Maxrate VBR 4500kbps
    Note the MPEG clip was done with WinTV HVR 1800
    Quote Quote  
  10. SHS: Thank you very much for uploading those examples.
    Quote Quote  
  11. So as to not make a new thread, I'll post my HD-PVR question here. Hope its okay with the OP.

I'm using the Hauppauge HD-PVR.

I want to watch my TV and record at the same time. Is it possible to connect my STB to my TV with component cables and connect the STB to the PVR with S-Video or Composite. Basically, I want to connect my STB to both the TV and PVR simultaneously.

Is that possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you can do that with SVideo or Composite from your STB.
    Or 2nd option STB component output cable going it to PVR component input then from HD-PVR used the component output back to TV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I see. But if the S-Video or Composite is going to the PVR, will I be able to capture HD?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Kite
    I want to watch my TV and record at the same time. Is it possible to connect my STB to my TV with component cables and connect the STB to the PVR with S-Video or Composite.
    This will also depend on your STB. It may not output component and svideo/composite at the same time.

Svideo/composite is standard definition only. If you want to capture HD you have to go component from the STB to the HD PVR then component from the HD PVR to the TV. Signal degredation is minimal.

Regarding the HD PVR and A/V sync errors: I don't see problems with that with the files directly from the HD PVR. But many editors have problems with the files and may give A/V sync errors after editing (eg, cutting out commercials, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by SHS
    Ok here you go
    http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/moive_clip/hd_pvr/
    TS file need be play in player that support H.264 video and AAC audio like PowerDVD.
    Both where rec at same Maxrate VBR 4500kbps
    Note the MPEG clip was done with WinTV HVR 1800
    SHS, what was the source of these? An HD tuner viewing an HD channel downscaled to SD? Or a native SD source?

Tom, note that most SD satellite broadcasts are at less than full D1 resolution, usually around 560x480i or 512x480i. I wouldn't expect to see much difference between an s-video and component capture with that. With downscaled HD you will see slightly better results (all else being equal -- which isn't the case when you're comparing the HD PVR to the PVR 150) with component.

Note the HD PVR's h.264 encoder will deliver better picture quality than the PVR-150's MPEG 2 encoder -- especially when bitrates are low.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sat HD tuner viewing from SD Channel from the same Sat Box
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo
    If you want to capture HD you have to go component from the STB to the HD PVR then component from the HD PVR to the TV. Signal degredation is minimal.
    Wow, that works great, thanks.
    Quote Quote